Richard Pyle & V-planner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just finished reading an article by Richard Pyle about making deep stops. Does the V Planner program match his recommendations adequately?

No. V-planner more resembles WKPP style stops -- stops starting at approximately 80% of the profile in ATA and 10' increments. Pyle stops are better than no stops, but they are still bringing you up too fast. That article is great to understand, in laymans language, the benefits of deep stops. I'm not sure if Pyle is still using that method. Most of the planners have adopted the WKPP style stops.

Mike

What LY said.

I think a better way to look at Pyle stops and V-Planner (and others) is that the new discoveries around decompression theory are bearing out what Pyle noticed, and implemented a number of years ago.

But Pyle was just guessing back then, though it turned out that his guesses pointed in the direction that decompression theory was to move. Even his guesses were a huge improvement over decompression methodologies of the time.

Now that we understand decompression better (note I didn't flatly say we understood it!) programs like V planner are giving us stops that, in my opinion, are superior to Pyle stops since they're based on sound theories (is that an oxymoron? :)) rather than guesses.

Roak

Maybe you should have worded that by saying "Sound Guesses rather than Theories".... I had a guy named Hamilton once tell me "what works, works"......I guess sometimes guesses work better than theory
Ken:):)

Originally posted by Waterlover
Maybe you should have worded that by saying "Sound Guesses rather than Theories".... I had a guy named Hamilton once tell me "what works, works"......I guess sometimes guesses work better than theory
Ken:):)
I never meant to imply anything other than what you stated. Pyle was WAY ahead of the curve with his guesses versus the pervailaing theory at the time.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom