Rich Henry step forward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike
Although I am not involved in this event, I did receive an e-mail from rich as I was a customer of his in the past. I booked my first stay at FI through rich based on the reccomendations of other posters on the forum like CDiva's. I was forming my opinions of resort I have never been to based on the comments of SB posters. I was happy with FI and everything there was pretty much llike what others had stated in their posts. I built up a trust for the members here and their opinions. Another time I was reading the posts in the Lesser Antillies section and based on what I read I took a trip to St Eustatius to dive with golden rock. Again another great trip that I never would have taken had it not been for my faith in SB and its members. The point of this is that I as well as many other readers use the info to make decisions that cost thousands of dollars and consume weeks of our lives. It's about trust and respect for others.

I began posting after others had raised suspicions about the veracity of rich's email and posts and the actions he took to "move their reservation". It is very likely that the truth is somewhere in between as this is usually the case.

I have not elected myself the minister of tourism of Roatan. That job goes to RTBdiver and Roatanman.

If you go back into old posts on this forum you will see that rich was a frequent poster with updates about improvements and basic marketing stuff for FI. Many readers were very excited about the improvements and upgrades. Rich had built up a trust level over the past year. Members like Betty in Toronto are an example of how people trust this forum and how posts here influence their decisions. I don't expect everything posted here to be the gospel truth, but I trust opinions here more than from PADI's Sport Diver or any other industry advertising.

This forum was how I found out about the issue associated with the e-mail from rich. When I first got the email I didnt open it because I thought it was just a marketing offer or a newsleter. After I saw the first few posts here I went and read it. Again I didn't think much of it because I had no current reservations and figured it was a short term problem with wire transfers or the like. As more info was posted I realized that something else was going on. If it were not for this forum, no one would have even known about the problem. Also as I reread richs email it was obvious that he was trying to cover his butt and present his version of the events first. The response by FI mgmt give credibility to the idea that there are clearly two different views of the events.

I have no expectation that the truth will be aired on this forum. As you can clearly read, each time rich or FI posted here their words were scrutinized and dissected by every amateur detective/lawyer member. I had no expectations that rich would respond to this post. He is probably in Roatan now, enjoying his new relationship with HM resorts. I agree that none of this will affect his business as so few people read SB and even less read the bay islands section.

Mike you stated that rich offered you a refund or to relocate your group. Did he offer to send the payment to FI so you could have the trip you planned?

Mike, it is great that your trip was saved. I hope you have a great time and that the weather cooperates. I hope all your dives are long and safe.

David

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the pius act. The title of this thread was clearly biased. You mention nothing in previous posts about the possiblity of this being at all FI's fault. Hence the title Will Rich Henry step forward. Most reasonable people would agree that although we don't know exactly what went on, there is more to the story than either side is telling.

I honestly don't know whos "fault" this all was nor do I care. I care that me emails to FI went unanswered, and when I called Rich I was offered either a refund, or an option to rebook with a different resort. He explained that the money for my trip was already sent, but he would return it to me at his cost. If I wanted to send it to FI, I was free to do so. He explained that he wasn't going to send any additional monies to FI. If you were in his shoes, and you already sent the money, would YOU send additional money to the resort that caused the situation in the first place?

Personally, I believe his emails were to notify guests of a potential problem so he can take care of it. This is backed up by the actions he took when I called. (transfering my reservation). I cannot attest to his email system or why people that wern't involved got emails. You seem to point directly to a deliberate attempt to smear FI on Rich's part where there are many other logical possiblities. Perhaps he had hundereds of guests, and instead of trying to find each one's email address, he just hit the reply to all on his list. Perhaps it was an oversight on his part.

For speculating, you sure seem to be speculating from a one sided viewpoint. Try to consider all options, not everything is a grand scheme to ruin someone's reputation. Perhaps he just wanted to make sure everyone recieved an email that was effected so they didn't show up on their trip and not have a room...

I'm assuming that everyone here is an adult and is capable of doing their own due dilligance with planning a vacation. No one here except the two parties knows exactly what transpired between the two resorts so discussing this is a waste of everyone's time. By now we all know the PR version from both sides, so enough is enough.

You mention that you have taken a trip with Rich in the past, I'm wondering what ax you have to grind with him? If you have an issue with your past booking, perhaps you should stick to that point. We all still have freedom of choice, if you feel that you were wronged by Rich and his company in some way, please feel free to never do business with him again. There are many resorts on the island of Roatan, and you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

don while I may have had insufficient followthru in the past, I do reconfirm all reservations in advance. However this dosn't always work. Last month I rented a car in Coz, reserved in advance and reconfirmed. When I got to the car rental counter I was told they had no cars. I asked what the point of a reservation was and got some BS. I was given a jeep instead, but would have preferred an automatic with a lockable trunk. Point is as a guest or customer you can only do so much and the rest is out of our hands.

While I thank you for pointing out my past insufficiencies, what does this have to do with this situation? We are not talking about dealing with a large company like Orbitz that handles thousands of reservation per hour, but a one on one agent who offered to refund money or relocate guests, but did not offer to get the guests to their chosen resort. How would the guests feel if it was reversed. That is they booked at the newest 5-star property and were relocated to a lesser or older resort. I think there would be more of an uproar if not for the upgraded accomodations.

I started this seperate thread to directly ask another SB member to respond to the posts in the original thread. It is apparent that this will go nowhere. While I agree that I am not entitled to know the details of other peoples reservations and their resoultions, I am entitled to ask for an explanation of an email that rich sent me directly.

The responses on these two threads are typical of what happens when people try to find out the truth. First limited info is released, followed by lots of speculation, then it breaks down to the posters arguing amount themselves and called each other names. This is not a matter of who's side you are on, we should all be on the side of truth and honesty.

David

Mike points well taken, have a good trip. Please post lots of pics and video if you can. Enjoy your trip.

Over and OUT! David

Mike points well taken, have a good trip. Please post lots of pics and video if you can. Enjoy your trip.

Over and OUT! David

I will definately do that David. Looking forward to showing everyone my trip. I don't have a video camera so pictures will have to do.

Mike

I love how scubaboarders get so insensed at somebody posting something that think is trivial and spend the time to respond to it? WTF is with that? If it's so trivial and unworthy why does the person who labels it so respond to it?

Let lionfish eater and anybody else post anything they f'n want. Its the Internet, this isn't a group get together to write the next classic American novel. Let the man post what he wants and let people reply how they want. We don't need the internet police around here.

I will guarantee you this, for every single person who replies to a thread trying to cut it off, EVERY SINGLE person who does this has a dog in the fight whether they will admit it or not. They have a bias to the thread and I'll guarantee you that's their motivation, if not, why post? You really just can't stand to have a thread in a section of the forum that you just can't skip over?

Rich is a big boy, FI is a big boy, they can defend themselves, they can answer for themselves or choose not to.

There is no doubt something ugly went down, and even though we can't determine who is at fault or more at fault, there is no doubt that something went down. The internet is about information. Posts here are information to other divers. Maybe the thread won't determine who's fault any of it is, but it does educate and alert other divers that there is an issue. Way too many times on this board members want to avoid the airing of these issues and do so under the guise of many tactics trying to censor people from posting about it.

You want to see this censorship in over drive go to the Bonaire section and mention something about the crime problem, or go to the cozumel section and mention something about a real estate problem, you'll get 10 replies in an hour trying to censor or side track or shut down the poster.

Something happened here, why censor it? Why do you care? Just skip the thread and read something else.

Although I am not involved in this event

Then what's with the smear campaign? Why should this kind of garbage even be allowed on ScubaBoard, only to make ScubaBoard look bad?

I love how scubaboarders get so insensed at somebody posting something that think is trivial and spend the time to respond to it? WTF is with that? If it's so trivial and unworthy why does the person who labels it so respond to it?

Let lionfish eater and anybody else post anything they f'n want. Its the Internet, this isn't a group get together to write the next classic American novel. Let the man post what he wants and let people reply how they want. We don't need the internet police around here.

I will guarantee you this, for every single person who replies to a thread trying to cut it off, EVERY SINGLE person who does this has a dog in the fight whether they will admit it or not. They have a bias to the thread and I'll guarantee you that's their motivation, if not, why post? You really just can't stand to have a thread in a section of the forum that you just can't skip over?

Rich is a big boy, FI is a big boy, they can defend themselves, they can answer for themselves or choose not to.

There is no doubt something ugly went down, and even though we can't determine who is at fault or more at fault, there is no doubt that something went down. The internet is about information. Posts here are information to other divers. Maybe the thread won't determine who's fault any of it is, but it does educate and alert other divers that there is an issue. Way too many times on this board members want to avoid the airing of these issues and do so under the guise of many tactics trying to censor people from posting about it.

This thread was educational to the issues huh? What's new that's said in here that wasn't said in the 14 page thread titled Fantasy Island. I am all for a constructive discussion about relelvant facts but one sided witch hunts ARE useless. In my experiance with online forums, there are people that truly want to be educated on issues and have relevant discussions, and people who simply want to stir the pot and create excitement.

You're so open to discussion, why is my post unwelcome? The OP was relating something that was his opinion, and I was just doing the same. I was pointing out that this issue has been aired out over a 14 PAGE THREAD. Nothing new has been said, and it's just turning out to be a smear campaign. You accuse Rich of trying to hurt FI's reputation by unfair practices, what exactly do you think you're doing to him?

Last time I checked, I wasn't a moderator on this forum and I didn't have the authority to stop anyone from posting anything. I was trying to point out the clearly one sided viewpoint presented by lionfish. I believe he considered what I have to say, and I appreciate that. Defensive action in the face of criticism is the refuge of a weak mind. By your own definition of "freedom of information" my post is just as relevant as the OP's. You can't have it both ways, if you want free transfer of information online. You're going to have to put up with a little criticism.

Remember, It is better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and prove people right.

Although I said over and out I will respond to the last post because it is from a staff member. What part of this is garbage? I have not smeared rich or FI, just trying to find out what happened. I respect SB and everyones right to post here. I have been very careful not to say anything that I know to be untrue, nor have I called anyone a liar or worse as some of the other posters have. How does this make SB look bad? If anything you should be proud that members feel that this is an open forum where they can have a free exchange of ideas. If you feel that this is all garbage than close these threads and silence the posters. While you are at it why not erase the threads and make like nothing happened.

David

I'm asking you now. Is any of this first hand experience? It appears (at least from this thread) that the person you're protecting and/or making arguments on their behalf is also present in this thread, and is in fact satisfied with the response he received from the company you are smearing.

If there's some other thread that this is spillover from. I personally am unaware of that.

don while I may have had insufficient followthru in the past, I do reconfirm all reservations in advance. However this dosn't always work. Last month I rented a car in Coz, reserved in advance and reconfirmed. When I got to the car rental counter I was told they had no cars. I asked what the point of a reservation was and got some BS. I was given a jeep instead, but would have preferred an automatic with a lockable trunk. Point is as a guest or customer you can only do so much and the rest is out of our hands.
Yeah, I've booked, trusted, and showed up expecting years past with no severe problems, but I'm not so trusting now. I try to confirm everything with the providers to whatever extent I can, unless maybe if the group organizer is going to be there to back me up.

As to the rest of it, I'd like to know what happened but I think the chances are zilch for this year anyway.
I will definately do that David. Looking forward to showing everyone my trip. I don't have a video camera so pictures will have to do.
Don't you have a digital camera that shoots video? Use the largest setting possible, a larger card, edit on Windows Movie Maker. :wink:
Wouldn't that be dumb or at least dangerous for them to make statements here now? I've been surprised to see as much as I did, which may be used against them in the future.

Howard this is a spillover from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/378315-fantasy-island.html

Back
Top Bottom