RF Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know of any devices that can interfere with garage door openers? I'm positive that my neighbor's daughter has some device. When she comes home from college, my garage door openers stop working. Same thing with neighbors within a 5 house radius. Google didn't return much, unless it is a military radio.

Duane

The short answer is yes - lots of things can interfere with your garage door opener system. Almost anything with a power cord can potentially generate Radio Frequency Interference. These problems are difficult to resolve and you be amazed at the type of things that generate RFI.

Garage door openers are FCC Part 15 (unlicenced) devices and therefore are not offered any legal protection from licenced devices. So if your neighbor's cell phone, GMRS Radio, Land Mobile Radio, Amateur Radio, or any other licenced device is causing the interference then you have no legal or civil remedy. Garage door systems typically operate in areas of shared radio spectrum so interference between multiple unlicenced devices or interference from military systems is also common. If everything is operating normally then it is your responsibility to change your system to resolve the problem.

If the interference is being caused by a malfunctioning device, you have to figure out what it is and then figure out how to fix it. The way to do this is to politely explain the problem to your neighbor and ask if they would like to help diagnose the problem (e.g. by turning stuff on and off). This is very tricky - REMEMBER - their device may not be (and is probably not) malfunctioning or operating in violation of FCC rules. As the user of the unlicenced device, it is YOUR responsibility to move the operating frequency of your unlicenced device to resolve the interference - unless you can prove that the interfering transmitter is operating in violation of their licence or is malfunctioning (again, this is very, very rare). If your neighbor has something that is really busted (e.g. and old TV set with bad wiring or components) they are under no legal obligation to fix it so that your unlicenced system operates properly. If you want to fix the problem you may have to assist them (e.g. buy them a new TV) to elminate the interference. They may decide to fix the system on their own as a gesture of good will, but you can't make them do it and the FCC will not step in to help - they only care about interference with licenced services. If your neighbor does not want to cooperate you are pretty much SOL.

Resolving these issue often requires some technical skill and a high degree of diplomacy and the cooperation of your neighbor. If you know an amateur radio operator in your neighborhood they may be able to put you in touch with the local Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) expert who should have the necessary test equipment (e.g. spectrum analyzer) to assist you, but you need to get the assistance of your neighbor in order to make much progress.

Steve

You could cover your house with aluminum foil and then set off an electromagnetic pulse to disable whatever might be causing the interference. The foil will act as a Farakhan cage to protect your stuff from the EMP. In order to actually generate the EMP, you could ask you buddies at work, or maybe build a small nuke-u-ler device in your garage, in which case, you should use lead foil around your house. :wink:

You might want to enlist the assistance of a "garage door installer"; they usually have a tunable xmitter & can run through the frequencies & maybe find one that can get through the interference.

On a side note; I had an acquaintance that installed garage doors & openers.
When things were slow he'd drive down a street on a Sunday afternoon cranking on the nob; he said there was an increase for "house calls" coming in for Monday.

REMEMBER - their device may not be (and is probably not) malfunctioning or operating in violation of FCC rules.
What struck me is the description of a 5 house radius being affected. Depending on how far the houses are spaced, that is some serious energy, considering it is (supposedly) being generated as a spurious out of band emission.

Considering most openers operate at around 315 MHz (last I checked), pinpointing the source with a directional antenna and spectrum analyzer would be simple. Trick is finding someone with the toys to do the check.

There are lots of things that can cause this kind of problem.
Sometimes it is as simple as a battery charger for some electronic device.

I suggest contacting the local amateur radio club (ham radio club) and asking for help in finding and resolving the issue.

Sometimes a very simple addition of a few ferrite beads on a power cord makes all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom