rEvo RMS (split from "Two new studies")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said previously, I had to spend some money to get my REVO working as designed, and I would not have been happy until I got it reliable. I was not happy to dive it with known faults. If you cant afford to repair your breather so its reliable, you cant afford to dive rebreathers. I dont like spending money on something I have just purchased, but my decision was, either fix it so its reliable, or get rid of it.

Its now reliable and everything works. As I said, I have replaced all the electronics now. Started with both probes after fault finding. Then replaced both modules after further errors appeared. Then the battery box which sorted the high battery drain. Then replaced the Dream which I didnt like anyway.. Replaced all the cells as most were poor when I bought the rig. Now all good.

I have had cells fail occassionally, but when you have 5, its not a big deal. I have had one fail about 3 months after fitting but mainly I get 12-24 months out of them. I test them to 1.6 PPO2 on most dives to ensure they are not current limiting. I confirm they are resonable in operation and not slow reacting. Seems to be working for me anyway.

I am happy with my rig. I know some who have had them, spent a lot of money upgrading them so they have all the bells and whistles, then sell them as the fad is something new. Not for me. If it works and is reliable, I will stick with it until my diving days are over, or unless something revolutionary and much better comes along.

How many pilots decide to fly planes with serious known defects. Not many I expect and I would think they dont survive long. In the aircraft industry, if its showing signs of fault, fix it. I liken that motto to diving. My life is worth more than a few hundred or thousand $ in repairs.

Each to their own, it just depends on the amount of risk you are prepared to carry.

Never had O2 cell problems, the 5th cell in my array (getting on to 2.5 years old) on the dream might go a bit wonky from time to time.
so what's it going to take for you to replace a 2.5yo cell? Just curious...

Slow operation
Failure to indicate >1.6 PPO2 on test
Significant different reading to other cells
Abnormal operation or indications its just not right

Thats what I would be looking for anyway. If I had a unit with 3 cells I would replace on a routine basis (or failure)

With 5 cells I have the capacity to run cells closer to failure. However in saying that I dont try and suck every bit of life out of them before replacing, but with the amount of redundency, I believe there is the capacity to run them longer than with a 3 cell unit. Thats one of the pluses on my unit (as long as you have computers to read every cell).

As I said previously, I had to spend some money to get my REVO working as designed, and I would not have been happy until I got it reliable.
I feel like I need to clarify a couple of points:
My diversion bringing up an hypothetical lack of concern about O2 cell failure because I have only experienced one, was a sarcastic jab at those who don't care about reports of rMS oddities because they are "happy" with theirs.
I just wanted to emphasize that nobody minimizes the risk of O2 cell failure, because it is well known and documented.
I acknowledge that some (maybe most) people using the rMS think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I am just bringing to their attention that in my neck of the wood, this optimism is not shared. Not for ideological reasons, but based on numerous incidents.
Now, a rMS rEvo is perfectly safe to dive without the rMS on, like a rEvo is perfectly safe to dive without a BOV. That I considered it pointless to throw good money after bad with the hope that suddenly a system that I had lost confidence in would eventually work as advertised, be considered unwise by some, is fine with me. I have made mistakes before, and try to analyze my dives with this recognition of my limitations.
I passed on a weekend of tek dives (and lost money) because I did not feel 100% in the mood and shape. Same goes for my equipment. It might be that the rMS is now fixed. Too bad we were not informed we were paying to debug the system.

The cell gets removed from my unit at 2.5 years, I replace a cell in my unit every 6 months as per rEvo instructions. I test the cells every dive to ensure they reach at least 1.6, check PO2 against dil PO2 on the bottom and put all 5 cells through a cell checker every 6 months.

The cell gets removed from my unit at 2.5 years, I replace a cell in my unit every 6 months as per rEvo instructions. I test the cells every dive to ensure they reach at least 1.6, check PO2 against dil PO2 on the bottom and put all 5 cells through a cell checker every 6 months.
Bear in mind rEvo also recommend to break up that 6 month cell change sequence, i.e. change a cell sooner every now and then. Don’t rigidly stick to every 6 months.

I feel like I need to clarify a couple of points:
My diversion bringing up an hypothetical lack of concern about O2 cell failure because I have only experienced one, was a sarcastic jab at those who don't care about reports of rMS oddities because they are "happy" with theirs.
I just wanted to emphasize that nobody minimizes the risk of O2 cell failure, because it is well known and documented.
I acknowledge that some (maybe most) people using the rMS think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I am just bringing to their attention that in my neck of the wood, this optimism is not shared. Not for ideological reasons, but based on numerous incidents.
Now, a rMS rEvo is perfectly safe to dive without the rMS on, like a rEvo is perfectly safe to dive without a BOV. That I considered it pointless to throw good money after bad with the hope that suddenly a system that I had lost confidence in would eventually worked as advertised, be considered unwise by some, is fine with me. I have made mistakes before, and try to analyze my dives with this recognition of my limitations.
I passed on a weekend of tek dives (and lost money) because I did not feel 100% in the mood and shape. Same goes for my equipment. It might be that the rMS is now fixed. Too bad we were not informed we were paying to debug the system.
To mitigate against the unknown, I reckon most rEvo divers don’t trust the RMS for big dives i.e. they use a fresh scrubber regardless for any dive requiring a deco obligation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom