Question rEvo in GUE style.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that mean I can connect the BOV directly to my DIL and only then switch to the stage? Or how do you do it if you have to get down to 50m from the device, for example? It's too deep for the Deco Stage, so switch to the Bailout Stage? The risk of taking the wrong bottle in a crisis is a bit too high for me. I'm GUE trained and generally think the training is good. But I'm not really keen on the JJ, more on the rEvo. Hence the questions. What do you do if the buddy is OOG?

Does that mean I can connect the BOV directly to my DIL and only then switch to the stage? Or how do you do it if you have to get down to 50m from the device, for example? It's too deep for the Deco Stage, so switch to the Bailout Stage? The risk of taking the wrong bottle in a crisis is a bit too high for me. I'm GUE trained and generally think the training is good. But I'm not really keen on the JJ, more on the rEvo. Hence the questions. What do you do if the buddy is OOG?
I don't want you to take it the wrong way, but a rEvo instructor will answer all questions above. If you ask on a forum, be prepared for many answers and preferences.

You can connect your BOV to a gas source suitable for depth. There are arguments for and against connecting your BOV to DIL. If you don't have a BOV, you will have a 2nd stage on a long hose around the neck or stoved on your primary bailout.

If your friends is out of gas, the procedure will depend on your setup. In a GUE style setup, you'll donate the 2nd on your necklace, tell the buddy to hold, get off the loop, give your friend as much long hose as necessary, and get back on the loop.

Does that mean I can connect the BOV directly to my DIL ,,,. What do you do if the buddy is OOG?
Connecting a BoV to a 3L dil tank is short sighted (i.e. you suck through it in a hypecapnic event within the blink of an eye). You would connect your BOV to a the bottom gas bail out stage, preferably using a QC6 connection instead of a low pressure inflator.

To donate gas to a buddy in a OOG scenario, you have a long hose running from your bottom gas bail out stage, (assuming its hog wrapped under the loop and clipped of to a D-ring), you remove the gag strap, lift the loop and donate the long hose, then put the loop back in your mouth.

The advantage of having a bottom gas bail-out stage mounted on the side, is you can play around with the gase mix, i,e, it can be a slightly richer O2 gas than the Dil and perhaps a slightly less richer He content, --- so can save you some money.

*I am not presently a CCR diver of any sort*

From what I understand GUE doesn't teach team bailout, correct?
Because that donate procedure seems like it would only work with an incredibly calm OOG diver. Ie: someone who bailed out on their own gas which has been consumed faster than expected.

*I am not presently a CCR diver of any sort*

From what I understand GUE doesn't teach team bailout, correct?
Because that donate procedure seems like it would only work with an incredibly calm OOG diver. Ie: someone who bailed out on their own gas which has been consumed faster than expected.

You're right - the other diver has to be somewhat calm. If an OOG diver yanks my 2nd stage before I can unwrap the long hose, it won't be a good day for both of us. There are several stipulations.

First, you drill the living crap out of this procedure so that you can donate effectively.

Second, test the procedure with all dive buddies.

Third, it is more likely than not that an OOG in the situation above comes to you after going through own bailout gas. There is a good chance that this won't be a surprise. When you see a team member bailing out, you should be ready to donate. I'll argue that in many cases passing a bottle with a reg is a bit easier than donating your bailout, especially in overhead environments. Taking a diver out on your long hose is usually not a pleasant procedure for any party involved.

TL;DR - all will be covered in training.

Sudden OOG donations don’t happen with rebreather diving. You’re on the loop; if that fails (CO2, caustic, flood) then you go on to your own bailout. If someone is bailed out, others would monitor them and donate additional gas if necessary (you plan the dive taking consideration of high SAC). This might be the case when at the end of a long decompression hang.

Whilst I dive with a necklaced regulator from my deep bailout on a long hose I strongly doubt that I’ll ever be donating it in my entire dive career.

Rebreather diving is very different to open circuit diving.

Sudden OOG donations don’t happen with rebreather diving .... Whilst I dive with a necklaced regulator from my deep bailout on a long hose I strongly doubt that I’ll ever be donating it in my entire dive career.
I have seen two in my short rebreather dive history (just under 300 hours) one was a mixed team, the low gas was O/C diver, the other one was a CCR Hypercapnic, neither really accepted the doner reg.

So I tend to agree, make certain your seatbelt is on before attending to others.

But you won't see many if you solo CCR dive @Wibble :) HaHa

I have seen two in my short rebreather dive history (just under 300 hours) one was a mixed team, the low gas was O/C diver, the other one was a CCR Hypercapnic, neither really accepted the doner reg.

I understand the hypercapnic diver not accepting the reg but how come the low on gas OC diver didn’t accept the donated reg? What were the outcomes?

The GUE config - the main thread point - won't force divers to accept a doner reg.

Hypercapnic divers probably need a BOV.

The other solution(?) is to freeflow a donor or necklace regulator under the DSV in an attempt to prevent hyperventilation of water while switching mouthpieces. I have not seen any in-water demonstration of this for an actually hypercapnic diver.

If you have bailout as a stage cylinder, you donate the stage regulator, and then the whole cylinder. This is drilled in TDI, IANTD, SSI etc courses. Standard rebreather config.

The GUE way aims to carry through highly trained open circuit twinset procedures into the CCR approach. In doing so, they made the CCR adapt to OC twinset procedures, rather than adapting their approach to existing CCR procedures. That is how you get issues and extra steps involving juggling a long hose and the loop, increased logistics when you want to change diluents for different target depths, and situations where you have two open circuit regulators of hypoxic gas ready to breathe/near your face at all times--a risk to consider on or near the surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom