Question rEvo in GUE style.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobias24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, is it possible to build a rEvo in GUE style? I like the size and the weight, but I think the option of using the back-up controller in the event of a bailout is better than with rEvo. thanks for the answers

I like the size and the weight,
Well it certainly would increase the size and the weight of the rEvo if you added manifolded twin 7 litre steel dill tanks and then mounted an O2 tank behind.

Hello, is it possible to build a rEvo in GUE style? I like the size and the weight, but I think the option of using the back-up controller in the event of a bailout is better than with rEvo. thanks for the answers
What problem are you trying to solve? A controller dying during a dive is unpleasant but is not the end of the world.

What problem are you trying to solve? A controller dying during a dive is unpleasant but is not the end of the world.
If I have to bailout, with the GUE version I can just put the backup that hangs around my neck into my mouth and can immediately breathe directly from, for example, the 15/45 Trimix, after which I can easily switch to the stage (which is closed the whole time). With the Revo I have to go straight to the bailout stage, if I have several stages with me I increase the risk of switching to the wrong gas in a stressful situation and the stage always has to be open to make it go faster. When scootering I sometimes don't hear whether the stage is deflating. Of course the weight increases, but there are also carbon tanks. As a GUe diver I am currently trying to decide which device to get... I ask for your understanding.

Physically, you’d have to do some plumbing changes to move the oxygen cylinder to the side, remove the diluent regulator and attach the large cam-bands to the box. There’s lots of plumbing changes to install to diluent inlet from the 7 litre cylinders, the manifold bollocks, etc… The 7 litre cylinders war wider so won’t fit in the 100mm diameter hole that the oxygen & diluent cylinders fit in.

Revos are quite compact compared with a JJJJ so you’d loose that for massive cylinders.

Lots of work for no benefit.

If you’re a gooist, then you must follow their orders so it’ll have to be a JJJJ. Conformity is a mandatory requirement with the GUE team concepts

If I have to bailout, with the GUE version I can just put the backup that hangs around my neck into my mouth and can immediately breathe directly from, for example, the 15/45 Trimix, after which I can easily switch to the stage (which is closed the whole time). With the Revo I have to go straight to the bailout stage, if I have several stages with me I increase the risk of switching to the wrong gas in a stressful situation and the stage always has to be open to make it go faster. When scootering I sometimes don't hear whether the stage is deflating. Of course the weight increases, but there are also carbon tanks. As a GUe diver I am currently trying to decide which device to get... I ask for your understanding.
A JJJJ won’t mitigate this, they have to bail to decompression gas too when shallow.

Dive a revo with the deep bailout necklaced under your mouthpiece— or a bailout valve. If diving hypoxic gas for MOD3 depths (80m+) then you will need to practice bailing to deco gas in the shallows.

The necklaced bailout is always on (you’ll notice any freeflow). The decompression stage cylinder regulators will have an OPV (over pressure valve) and an inline shutoff at the second stage so it is always powered on and won’t leak)

Personally, I dive with cylinders both sides — Lean Left Rich Right — and bungeed back sidemount style so you don’t get tangled up in a wreck. Obviously GUE will take a dim view of that.

unless you have a bov then its a non issue -youll have to carry the appropriate volume regardless of where you store it

Ok, gotcha.

Your bailout config depends on your training and preferences. My primary bailout is on a necklace and is ready to breathe. Other bailouts - are charged, off, and isolated. I won't go into the "isolated vs. non-isolated" debate here.

If the controller is out, you have a manual CCR. You can rely on the monitor, bailout, SCR, or use a combination of options to proceed with the rest of your dive. If you're on a trip, consider backup controller options: use another controller or re-wire the unit to use another monitor.

If you're a GUE diver, consider GUE-JJ - perhaps it will be easier for you. Making a GUE-style breather out of a rEvo is possible but is not necessary.

With what you are proposing the weight of the revo increases, the profile widens and there needs to be substantial modifications to the DIL, ADV and MAV hoses to accomodate, Quite frankly it would be a frankenstein rEvo.

All you have to do to get similar results with a revo is put a long hose on the bottom gas bail-out stage and hog wrap it around your neck, under the loop, then if you bail out, you do so to the reg attached to right d-clip.

But dont make a rEvo into a GUE-JJ, they are different units, the revo has two scrubbers and rms ( to save on sorb) and a cmf, and two extra o2 cells (if you get the expedition version).

If you want a GUE rigged JJ go buy a JJ and lug the extra weight around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom