Revisiting the Office with OE2X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
To my delight, when I went out to get in my car after work last night, there was a message from OE2X, inviting me to dive today. I immediately got on the phone and RSVPed in the affirmative. Discussion eventually proved that Cove 2 was the best venue for time and efficiency purposes, so we agreed on a meet time and rang off.

Thus, at 11:30 this morning, my husband and I were in the car, driving across Lake Washington under beautiful blue skies and grinning because the air temperature was still in the 50's, which meant we wouldn't roast before we got our feet wet. We pulled into the parking lot at Seacrest, which was absolutely full. The bewildering part is that all those people are doing something OTHER than diving . . . Are non-divers ALLOWED at Cove 2? What do they DO there?

The tide was high, and the walk was short. The viz was short, too . . . A body's length was far enough for people to begin to fade into unreality, like something in a bad science fiction movie. It was like a halocline, but it was a "snot-o-cline" of stringy particulates punctuated by mist. By the time we achieved 40 fsw, it was good and dark, and remained so.

Due to OE2X's excellent navigational skills, we managed to find the logs at Olive's Den. No octopus sign to be seen, but a couple of large leopard dorids. As we moved back up, I was proud to discover not only another Northern Ronquil, but right next to it, a grunt sculpin, the first I've ever found underwater. Although I had my camera with me, I didn't think there was any point in unlimbering it in the miserable viz, so I can't PROVE I found a grunt sculpin. But I did. Either that, or the narcosis was treating me much better than usual.

We made an accurate and efficient ascent to the deeper jackstraw pilings, where there were no warbonnets to be found. Leaving the deeper pilings, we headed for where the shallower ones by the Honey Bear should have been, but in the night, someone had moved them. We found a vertical steel post which we all agree is in the immediate vicinity, but no pilings were to be seen. If anyone finds them, would you return them to Cove 2? They are missed.

The Honey Bear had also apparently sailed off into the sunset, so we began a meander upslope, when suddenly, OE2X, who had up to this point behaved predictably (with the exception of his bewilderment at the alteration of the underwater landscape) suddenly thumbed the dive. We were in an odd spot where one doesn't normally surface, but the thumb is the thumb, so I looked at my depth gauge and rapidly built a normal ascent profile in my mind. We had not assigned a deco captain at the beginning of the dive, as we had planned to swim upslope (there's a lesson here, if you missed it) and nobody called deco. I made assumptions of time to stops, but nobody seemed to follow me, so I just decided to stay with the team. We did a very slow ascent, including what seemed to be an interminable 15 foot safety stop, which turned out to be OE2X's attempt to placate his computer, which he had forgotten either to put in gauge mode or to put on 32%. Poor computer, it was terribly worried about his well-being, and despite our hour of meditation at 15 feet, it beeped anxiously at him during the whole surface swim back to shore.

It turned out that the peculiar point of ascent was mandated by my husband, for whom the combination of depth and rather awful visibility had proven to be a bit much, and had caused him to vacuum gas out of his tank at an unprecedented rate -- something like TWICE my rate!

Now, the funniest part of the whole dive was that Peter had chosen to do it in his "pool gear", the Balance BC and short hose regulator he uses for his DM classes. This was because he didn't want to go through the hassle of putting the cambands back on his backplate, which he has been using for doubles. At the end of the dive, standing in the shallows taking our fins off, Peter says to me, "You may NOT laugh at me, but I missed my backplate and wing." I am not laughing. But you may, if you like . . .

There are no pictures, but it was another delightful day of floating around underwater not seeing much at the Office :)

Jealous, I've yet to dive with OE2X . . .

Sounds like a good time, a great report-I felt like I was there with you all.

Tomorrow is Deep Sea to Davidson, James Island and Black Rock, hopefully it isn't a snot-o-rama up there as well . . .

Nice report back to you. I can relate to the conditions. here on the sonoma coast in calif, vis is often only a few feet. sometimes its nice. it forces you to do a micro dive, and I usually spot something I would normally look over. much like that sculpin you saw. one of my favorite fish here to see is the painted greenling. I think it to is part of the sculpin family. maybe not now that i think about it. but any-how. I could be wrong. you will miss these interesting creatures on a day when vis is good.:D

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the challenge of filming the Back to Basics class tomorrow. To get footage of the students doing their kicks and skills, I first have to FIND them . . .

Great report and thanks for posting it! OE2X called me on his way home and said he had a great time. I knew diving with you and Peter would be a wonderful way for him to unwind from the week. I sure hope the viz is a lot better by the time I arrive. Sounds like our quarry dives.

Too bad you didn't have a camera with you. A photo of your hubbie reverting back to his pool gear would have finished the report off just right. :D

TSandM:
We made an accurate and efficient ascent to the deeper jackstraw pilings, where there were no warbonnets to be found. Leaving the deeper pilings, we headed for where the shallower ones by the Honey Bear should have been, but in the night, someone had moved them. We found a vertical steel post which we all agree is in the immediate vicinity, but no pilings were to be seen. If anyone finds them, would you return them to Cove 2? They are missed.
Oh dear ... you should have looked UP ... to get from the jackstraw pilings to the vertical steel post, you would have had to swim right underneath them ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lucky gal !!!

I'm really looking forward to the day that I can do a dive of two with OE2X and Suthn.

the K

Oh dear ... you should have looked UP ... to get from the jackstraw pilings to the vertical steel post, you would have had to swim right underneath them ...

I kept shining my light UP, remembering our dive from the other night. Tells you how bad the viz was, that I never saw anything resembling even the ghostly outline of a piling . . .

The Kraken:
Lucky gal !!!

I'm really looking forward to the day that I can do a dive of two with OE2X and Suthn.

the K
Me too (sigh)

TSandM:
...As we moved back up, I was proud to discover not only another Northern Ronquil, but right next to it, a grunt sculpin, the first I've ever found underwater. ...

Have you found many Grunt Sculpin's that weren't underwater?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom