Review my Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattymatt

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be mainly diving in the follows areas; 1) East Coast in the summer time, 2) Florida throughout the year, 3) Caribbean in the fall. I am thinking of putting together the following equipment package:

SeaQuest Pro QD+
Scubapro MK16/S550
Suunto Cobra Console
Octopus (to be determined)

the console option and go with wrist-mounted gauges.

Also suggest a real reg for a backup and not an air2 type gizmo...

At least look at BP/W before buying a jacket...

For a BC

BP and Harness with a 27 or 30lb wing.
Halcyon or Oxycheq. I had reserves about Oxycheq but now they've been out awhile and haven't heard anything bad.

Some say you need a 40lb wing. I'm in the Ocean and Freshwater. Never a problem. 30lb is plenty. I use everything from a AL80 to a Faber HP100. For tanks.

Or, set it up yourself and you can get a FREDT backplate. I have FredT I use all the time. And also Halcyon, DiveRite, AUL. Usually use the FredT.

Regulators

ScubaPro MK25/S600 if in warm water
Apeks TX50/DS4 for cold water
Or any Apeks really

MK25's have been known to freeflow in cold water. Heard some problems with the MK16's.

Apeks haven't really heard any problems.

ScubaPro is easier to get serviced. They are everywhere. I use MK20/250's and MK25/600's and Mk20/500's. Never had a freeflow. Been under ice. But I hear about it all the time. I've been lucky. I also use Apeks TX50/DS4's and TX100's. I use them in cold water all the time now. I just trust them more.

I like my Octo to be the same as my Primary.

I like a wrist computer myself. Don't like Consoles dragging along. I know where it is on my wrist at all times. Don't have to grab around for it.

And I hate things on my wrist. I rarely wear a watch. Because I don't like it on my wrist. Only reason I do. Is my father used to love watches and had alot of them. When I wear them. It's one of his. To remember him.

Others will flame. Because of the BP. But it's what I like. Try it first. For around 10 dives. Not just 1 or 2. Read the new Dry suit diver to figure out why. Some people hate Dry suits. Till the 10-15th dive.. Same with BP. You have to give them a shot and get used to them. But, you might not like them. I love them.

If eliminating the console all together and going wrist only, would I be looking at something wireless like the Vytec? I know it can be lots of $$$$$.

I use a Suunto Vyper (~$300)...functions as air/nitrox computer or bottom timer/depth gauge...

If you are only going to be diving warm water and staying in the recreational limits, these will work fine.

However there are few divers that I know that stay at their current training level. More than likely you will want to move on the more challenging dives and these choices won’t work for you then.

Before you buy anything, sit down and think about where you want to be 1, 2 or even 3 years down the line. Buy your gear based on this. This way you won’t have to upgrade your gear next year. This saves you the most money in the long run. Most dive gear will last you a long time, so buy for the long run.

DSAO

If you go with a Vyper, you will still need a pressure guage of some sort. I use a Vytec with the transmitter and just love the convenience of having the tank pressure available on my wrist at a glance. I have a redundant Vyper and spg tucked away on a console.

After reading your posts, I am thinking maybe I should go with a standard analog console to start with, and when I have enough $$$, go over to something like the Vytec. That way I will still have the analog gauges as a back-up.

mattymatt:
After reading your posts, I am thinking maybe I should go with a standard analog console to start with, and when I have enough $$$, go over to something like the Vytec. That way I will still have the analog gauges as a back-up.

You could do that, but you would be better off if you could get some kind of computer. This will extend your bottom time because you won't have to dive straight tables. If you go with the Vytech, you could add a SPG if you can't afford the transmitter now. You can always add the transmitter later. This way you can take advantage of having a computer and it will grow with your diving. This may cost a little more now (only a few dollars more than the Cobra) , but in the long run, you will be better off.

mattymatt:
I am going to be mainly diving in the follows areas; 1) East Coast in the summer time, 2) Florida throughout the year, 3) Caribbean in the fall. I am thinking of putting together the following equipment package:

SeaQuest Pro QD+
Scubapro MK16/S550
Suunto Cobra Console
Octopus (to be determined)

Which tank(s)?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom