Review: Maui Dive Shop; Sept. 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbtao

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just thought I would post a few thoughts here that others might find helpful as I did a good bit of reading here before heading to Hawaii. And thank you much for all the info, by the way!

My wife and I are newbie divers and got our referral OW dives through MDS. The dive shop on south kihei road was very informative and friendly. The guys there told us quite a bit about the diving possibilities on Maui, in addition to various social spots worth checking out. Quite helpful.

4 OW referral dives
The dive instructor for those 4 dives was Mark Squires. He was very professional and knowledgeable and friendly. However, I do have to comment that he said a number of inappropriate things whilst in our presence. He was likely having a bad couple of days, but he said things to the other folks at the shop and to a few dive guides on site that rankled us. Sure talk **** about your job, but not in front of the customers. Basically, there were a few times when his attitude said "I don't want to be here."

rating: (scale of 1-10 with 10 best): 7. Would have been 8.5 if not for his occassional comments. We dove Ulua both days and saw quite a few turtles at the cleaning stations. Extremely beautiful!

4 Molokini dives
Booked them at the Maalena dive shop and left from there also. Dive instructor was Trent. This guy is amazing. He was genuinely friendly, interested, motivated, and hilarious. He found octopi, sharks, and more. My wife was somewhat timid about the shark possibility and he ended up getting her jazzed about the idea. Later, when we spotted a few white tips, black tips, and grays, he grabbed her hand and furiously kicked towards them. She loved it. The groups were 5 or 6 per instructor. The boat was nice. The sandwiches, fruit, and drinks were tasty. The captain and other dive instructors were friendly and informative. All crew were helpful with getting you in gear and getting you out of it afterwards. I breathe super-slow and he let myself and the women stick around for as long as the air held out. If you get a chance, dive with Trent. He makes an already amazing experience that much better.
rating: 10

Next, to the big island.

sbtao

It's great to hear such a positive review! Thanks!

sbtao:
4 OW referral dives
The dive instructor for those 4 dives was Mark Squires. He was very professional and knowledgeable and friendly. However, I do have to comment that he said a number of inappropriate things whilst in our presence. He was likely having a bad couple of days, but he said things to the other folks at the shop and to a few dive guides on site that rankled us. Sure talk **** about your job, but not in front of the customers. Basically, there were a few times when his attitude said "I don't want to be here."

sbtao
I hope you let the shop know how Mark conducted himself. The MDS has some long term instructors and a lot of turnovers. I don't know Mark but it sounds like he's on the way out.

Inappropriate comments gets you bounced from the shop I work for.

Thanks for the review! I agree with Al, I hope you let someone at MDS know of your experience with a very inappropriate instructor.

I've met Mark, and he seems to be a good guy... perhaps it was just an "off" day like we all have.

It's just pronounced as it reads. sbtao. with the b kind of slurred in the middle. hehe. I didn't contact the dive shop because I didn't want to make large waves for him. However, it did seem appropriate to let folks here know who might be considering going with MDS.

salud,

sbtao

We dove with Trent last week, I whole-heartedly second sbtao's comments. We had a fantastic experience with Maui Dive Shop, the entire crew and especially Trent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom