Trip Report Review: Blue Nation Diving in Loreto, BCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good, practical trip report with 'need to knows' someone considering that destination would want to know. Kudos. Got a few follow up questions:

1.) IIRC, you tend to aim for budget trips (i.e.: value, cost-controlled, frugal, whatever term you like). How did the overall value of this one compare to other places you've been (e.g.: Cozumel perhaps)?

2.) If I interpreted correctly, you indicated diving similar to Puerto Vallarta, 'where everything costs less and you don't need a car.' I've never been to either. Knowing what you know now, do you see any compelling reason(s) to choose Loreto over Puerto Vallarta?

3.) Putting aside subjective appraisals of who is 'best,' is there anything you enjoyed going to Loreto you've have missed at Puerto Vallarta and/or other locations?

4.) How many dives/day, and how many did you get in for that 2-week trip? What do you do besides dive?

Richard.

Good, practical trip report with 'need to knows' someone considering that destination would want to know. Kudos. Got a few follow up questions:

1.) IIRC, you tend to aim for budget trips (i.e.: value, cost-controlled, frugal, whatever term you like). How did the overall value of this one compare to other places you've been (e.g.: Cozumel perhaps)?

2.) If I interpreted correctly, you indicated diving similar to Puerto Vallarta, 'where everything costs less and you don't need a car.' I've never been to either. Knowing what you know now, do you see any compelling reason(s) to choose Loreto over Puerto Vallarta?

3.) Putting aside subjective appraisals of who is 'best,' is there anything you enjoyed going to Loreto you've have missed at Puerto Vallarta and/or other locations?

4.) How many dives/day, and how many did you get in for that 2-week trip? What do you do besides dive?

Richard.

Speaking of "budget", some of it was unexpectedly depleted when we picked up the rental car otherwise we probably would have done a couple more dive boat trips. We did three trips altogether, one to each of the three nearby islands. When we fly to Cozumel we usually have enough airline miles to cover the flight and only have to pay for airport taxes, exit fees, etc. When we fly to Loreto our only choice is Alaska so we shop around for the best deal. Recently, Mary got an Alaska credit card so next year we will have enough points for one airfare plus a companion pass so for one of us it will be $100 plus taxes etc and airport taxes for the other. Lately we've been going to Cozumel twice a year and part of that is inspired by the low cost for everything. Plus, it's simply difficult to not love Cozumel! Our AirBnB in Loreto was perhaps a couple dollars more per night than places we rent in Coz, so not much difference there. On Coz we know where to do the $10 shore dives so we can really stretch the dive budget, plus we are learning about the colectivos and saving a few pesos on taxis. There does not seem to be much shore diving in the Loreto area and a car would probably be required to get to them, wherever they may be. But, of course, shore diving on Cozumel seems to be somewhat of a secret too. :wink: The usual price for a two-tank dive on Coz is $85 US compared to $135 US in Loreto. In PV it's a little lower than Loreto, but not much. Compared to PV, the visibility and water temperatures in Loreto are similar, you can get an AirBnB for as low as about $22/night, buses are 6 1/2 pesos around town and 7 1/2 pesos all the way to Playa Mismaloya (where you catch most dive boats). A taxi is around $6 US which is very reasonable considering how far it is and comparing it to renting a car. Two of our new friends in Loreto offered to rent us a house for around $100 US for a month. That's two different houses, two different friends. We will definitely look into it.

Puerto Vallarta is big and busy and they have only recently began restrictions on building (or so I gather). Neuvo Vallarta is just North a ways in Estado Nayarit and they have built a bunch of resorts etc on what was probably some really beautiful beaches. Loreto is small and when you are at sea looking back, it's incredible to see so much undeveloped land that still retains it's natural beauty. The islands are almost completely uninhabited (to the best of my knowledge) and have what are probably some of the most beautiful, unspoiled beaches on the planet. I'm very glad that Baja is not part of the USA otherwise it would have been destroyed by now. Loreto is considered to be a "Pueblo Magico." There is no Walmart, Mega, Chedrau, Sr. Frogs, or Hooters. Thank God. From what I have been told there never will be. This also means that shopping is a bit more limited than in a bigger town, but you can get everything you need. PV or Loreto? It depends upon what you want. I'd say go to both. Of the three places mentioned, I would have to say that Cozumel has the best eats, with PV coming in second. We have had some very good meals at Mi Loreto and Santo Cielo and some not-so-wonderful at a couple of other places. I recommend going to Santo Cielo after the sun sets to avoid las moscas. I've been diving at PV several times so maybe it's not fair to say this but I've seen a lot more sea life there than at Loreto. But then, we are talking about a LOT of sea life! It's the only place where I've ever seen two morays in one hole and perhaps 20 morays or more on one dive. and probably just as many rays.

We drove up to the San Javier Mission and it was well worth the 50 minute trip. There are beaches about one hour North that are great for snorkeling etc but we didn't make the trip yet. Sportfishing is very big in Loreto. We also enjoy meeting the locals and trying to find something that we haven't already bought elsewhere. The mangos were the best I've ever eaten and sometimes they jump off the tree and land at your feet. The restaurant La Palapa next to the mission served wonderful mango on their plato de fruta. They even gave us a freshly-picked mango as we were leaving. :D A man at one of the small shops offered to sell me some vino de uvas so I'm guessing there is a winery nearby. Unfortunately I'm not fluent so I didn't get everything he said.

Being a native Californian I'd always wondered where El Camino Real begins. Now I know. I think they also have the first mission.

If you have any more questions I will do my best to answer them. From my point of view it looks like Loreto could use a lot more divers but Yago, Monica, and Victor did not seem to have any trouble keeping their boat full. :)

I just found this post!
Thanks Jim and Mary for the honest feedback and good vibes. It was great to have you here and I'll make sure we cross paths again in the future, either here or in Cozumel :wink:

Jim did an excellent job answering all the questions so I will just add some extra info:

As mentioned, Loreto has all the advantages and disadvantages of an small, emerging dive destination. Although the town is easily walkable, a car is super recommended as it will allow you to explore all the attractions in the vecinity, which are fantastic. Some guests have had bad experiences with the car rental agencies lately as it seems they are not providing complete information to the visitors. It appeares that they hide some insurance costs that need to be payed upon arrival. I don't know whether is one agency only or a common practice, but definitely not nice.

Tour operators are quite small and the boats normally host maximum 8 people. The marina is also basic (although in the way to be enhanced next year!) and that limits the group sizes and makes logistics a bit more complicated. Loreto is growing a lot lately and we hope to be able to catter for bigger groups and lesser expenses!

We are the only shop doing NITROX. We manually blend the mixes so it has to be ordered with one day notice. Loreto has virtually unlimited divesites. We probably visit 40 different ones on a regular basis but new divesites keep being discovered that are amazing. Although NITROX diving is only taking off here, there is a plethora of sites that can only be truly enjoyed with it.
Recently we have uploaded a 3D map of the main islands and some info about the sites. It's a work in progress, but with that and the video section you can make a good idea of what to expect. The Sea of Cortez is highly seasonal and every season offers different stuff too.

Links:

3D map: Loreto Bay National Park - Blue Nation Baja
Videos: https://www.bluenationbaja.com/loreto-underwater/ (bottom of page)

!Hola Yago!

I must have been suffering from post dive-trip depression when I wrote my review or perhaps I'm too clinical sometimes. It's not like we got stuck in a snowstorm in Denver on the way back. I think my response to drrich2 is a little more emotionally-based :) We had a great time in Loreto and loved diving there and I'm sure we will be back soon! Loreto and the surrounding areas are incredibly beautiful, unspoiled, and the view of the Sea of Cortez and all the islands is almost too good to be true. We met lots of great people and look forward to seeing everyone again and exploring more of Loreto and the surrounding area. I would love to just go to Isla Danzana and sit on Playa Luna de Miel all day. Mary has been on Girls That Scuba telling everyone what a great time she had. I definitely want to go back to Isla Coronados again and get some more sea lion footage. I always have in my mind that many of the people who read ScubaBoard have been to Cozumel and compare everything to that. The only things that Loreto seems to be lacking is public transportation and perhaps more swimming pools. I got some tips about car insurance so next time we'll be better prepared.

Give Monica some hugs from us and a big high-five to Victor for being such a great captain.

!Hola Yago!

I must have been suffering from post dive-trip depression when I wrote my review or perhaps I'm too clinical sometimes. It's not like we got stuck in a snowstorm in Denver on the way back. I think my response to drrich2 is a little more emotionally-based :) We had a great time in Loreto and loved diving there and I'm sure we will be back soon! Loreto and the surrounding areas are incredibly beautiful, unspoiled, and the view of the Sea of Cortez and all the islands is almost too good to be true. We met lots of great people and look forward to seeing everyone again and exploring more of Loreto and the surrounding area. I would love to just go to Isla Danzana and sit on Playa Luna de Miel all day. Mary has been on Girls That Scuba telling everyone what a great time she had. I definitely want to go back to Isla Coronados again and get some more sea lion footage. I always have in my mind that many of the people who read ScubaBoard have been to Cozumel and compare everything to that. The only things that Loreto seems to be lacking is public transportation and perhaps more swimming pools. I got some tips about car insurance so next time we'll be better prepared.

Give Monica some hugs from us and a big high-five to Victor for being such a great captain.

Hey Jim!
I love reading you opinions and you are doing a great service to the diving community with all your comments. Please don't mind me :wink: Loreto has many challenges and I agree with all you said. It's a developing destination and I believe it will only get better!
Best wishes for you both. We hope to pay you a visit soon too :)

Thanks for the post @JamesBon92007 -- much appreciated. Loreto is truly a gorgeous destination. Not sure if you got a chance to run into Bob Bailey while there. Bob was a big contributor here in the past and has recently retired to Loreto from the PNW. His username here was @nwgratefuldiver -- I know he was traveling back in the States, so he may not have been there while you were. Bob is a Facebook friend and I can't get enough of his Loreto diving pics while he is out with Blue Nation regularly, particularly all of the AMAZING nudibranchs.
#BlueNation!

Thanks for the post @JamesBon92007 -- much appreciated. Loreto is truly a gorgeous destination. Not sure if you got a chance to run into Bob Bailey while there. Bob was a big contributor here in the past and has recently retired to Loreto from the PNW. His username here was @nwgratefuldiver -- I know he was traveling back in the States, so he may not have been there while you were. Bob is a Facebook friend and I can't get enough of his Loreto diving pics while he is out with Blue Nation regularly, particularly all of the AMAZING nudibranchs.
#BlueNation!

Sometimes SB seems like CozumelBoard so I'm not sure how many people are actually reading about less-traveled destinations. We were there in December and the weather was not cooperating much and then we felt sick and decided to go home just when things were becoming divable. :( We followed Yago and Monica's advice and returned in August and the conditions were very nice, aside from the heat/humidity. nwgratefuldiver is certainly a familiar name but if we met Bob we were not aware of it. Perhaps we should start wearing ScubaBoard T-shirts. Ever since film became extinct I've been using a little GoPro clone which is worthless for nudibranchs. I've been considering putting a digital SLR in my old housing but I'm afraid that it might become obsolete too. Heck, I paid much more for my macro lens than I did for the camera and it's pretty much useless now. The videos are fun to watch but certainly not as stunning as the macro shots I used to get. Meanwhile I've been spending most of my money on airfare and dive boats rather than equipment. Yago mentioned that they recently discovered a "wall" with tons of nudibranchs so maybe I'll start putting a little aside for a new still camera.

Hey Jim!
I love reading you opinions and you are doing a great service to the diving community with all your comments. Please don't mind me :wink: Loreto has many challenges and I agree with all you said. It's a developing destination and I believe it will only get better!
Best wishes for you both. We hope to pay you a visit soon too :)

My son-in-law just bought a little boat but I'm not sure about how sea-worthy it is :wink: We haven't been out in it yet and it's probably only big enough for two divers. Lately most of my local diving has consisted of taking the ferry to Catalina and diving at the marine park. Where are you thinking of staying? We live in Riverside which seems to be a geographical anomaly--it's two hours away from everywhere. :wink:

Don't change Loreto too much--we wouldn't want it to lose it's Pueblo Magico status :)

We have been to Loreto twice, 15+ times to Coz. We enjoyed the diving in Loreto in Aug and October, and we will again. The diving is not in the same class as Coz, that is for sure, but it is a quaint unassuming town with really good one of a kind restaurants, and the first mission (1500’s) on the El Camino Real. It is easy to get to from So Cal, and that is the main positive for us.

Sometimes SB seems like CozumelBoard so I'm not sure how many people are actually reading about less-traveled destinations.

Maybe more than we realize. It's my 1st 'go to,' followed by Undercurrent. If I were researching a trip to Grand Turk, Grenada, St. Vincent or one of the many other 'road less traveled' places I've never been, this is the place I'd search first.

Yeah, Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan and the Caymans get a lot of attention, but you can also turn up useful info. on Corn Island, Guadeloupe and now...Loreto!:yeahbaby:

If anyone is flying into Loreto with an underwater camera/video housing, could you please update us on your experience with the new 16% Mexican camera housing tax. Divers flying through CSL and La Paz are definitely being charged per this SB thread. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom