Returning to diving after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had Roux-en-Y performed just over 3 weeks ago, and pre-surgery I asked my surgeon about diving. He said he didn't know much about the topic, but to wait a month before getting back in the water.

My understanding is the principle concern post-surgery is gastric barotrauma, but I can't find much that's recent either here or on pubmed that says more than that. Is there anything beyond being able to burp that I need to be aware of?

Your GI doc should reach out to colleagues for the answers you seek. This needs multidisciplinary approach.

AFAIK roux y main concern would be low nutrient intake, and loss of muscle mass, that may impact your diving stamima and performance. Nutition support would be welcome
If there is no anastomosis leak, and after about 24 weeks for total healling, It would be ok, just look out for symptons of sub oclusion due to adherences, and, depending on the surgical technique used, dumping syndrome that can cause disconfort (enteric barotrauma), but today is not so usual tô have blind segment dumping
P.S. - i am a Surgical Oncologist with Hyperbaric training, just to justify my statements.
But more experienced diving medicine professionals may feel free to disagree
Regards

AFAIK roux y main concern would be low nutrient intake, and loss of muscle mass, that may impact your diving stamima and performance. Nutition support would be welcome
If there is no anastomosis leak, and after about 24 weeks for total healling, It would be ok, just look out for symptons of sub oclusion due to adherences, and, depending on the surgical technique used, dumping syndrome that can cause disconfort (enteric barotrauma), but today is not so usual tô have blind segment dumping
P.S. - i am a Surgical Oncologist with Hyperbaric training, just to justify my statements.
But more experienced diving medicine professionals may feel free to disagree
Regards

24 weeks? Also, thanks - this is the kind of answer I was looking for.

24 weeks is way long. If procedure was laparoscopic, should be adequately healed by 8 weeks for pretty much any activity. Consult your own sugeon.
Indeed! O was thinking about open oncological surgery. Laparoscopic should be far less long

One other issue for the OP would be overall state of health. People have gastric bypasses for a reason and overall BMI, exercise tolerance or co morbidities might affect time to return to diving as well.
There was a post a few weeks back from a 30 year old, BMI 47 who was not cleared to dive.

I had Roux-en-Y performed just over 3 weeks ago, and pre-surgery I asked my surgeon about diving. He said he didn't know much about the topic, but to wait a month before getting back in the water.

My understanding is the principle concern post-surgery is gastric barotrauma, but I can't find much that's recent either here or on pubmed that says more than that. Is there anything beyond being able to burp that I need to be aware of?

To the note by @Doctorfish above about health state, I would add that you need to be able to belch in order to clear any trapped air. Sometimes this surgery results in the inability to release air from the pouch, which could result in barotrauma in the operative area on ascent.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom