Returning to Curacao Dec 8-16, Want MORE Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello, we are going back to Curacao Dec 8-16. have 4 nites in Westpunt at Marazul (looking forward to seeing you again Sunshine, for dinner!) and 4 nites in town. Will be able to get in 5 days of diving and plan two dives a day, plus a couple of night dives (I have to work three days). We were diving about 5 days back in September and here is what we did then:

Watamula (twice)
Mushroom Forest/blue room
Porto Mari
Playa Lagun
All West house reef/Playa Grandi

First, we are wiling to pay for boat dives if the spots are worth it (like Watamula). Also, we might want dive some spots near town as we did not dive anything on the south end.

We are definitely going to do Watamula and Porto Mari again as those were our favorites.

We definitely want to do the Superior Producer at night and would like recomendations on that Ops that go by boat, as the shore entry is unpredictable and we had to abandon our attempt last time due to bad chop.

We are definitely going to do Alice-In-Wonderland which we missed the last time.

We want recommendations on sites that are a little "different." Would like to see schools of tarpon that we hear about. Would also like a "macro" or muck dive for odd critters. Are there dives like that? What about under the pier? What about sites with super-large sponges and sea fans?

Not too interested in car piles but wrecks are good if there is anything other than the producer that is worthwhile.

We are also fully rigged for night dives so any suggestions of good spots for night dives are also welcome.

Had a blast last time, can't wait to return!

Hi Guy!
For sure Alice in Wonderland. Then try Hundu, Shon Mosa and Largu. I'll show you on a map - all out our end. Contact Mark and Suzy at the Dive Bus. They had a fantastic night dive at the Superior this week. Contact Bryan at Go West and schedule Watamula. Elvin's plane wreck is also one of my favorites. Not for the wreck but for the shallow (45+ foot) reef. It's next to Watamula but has an entirely different structure. Neils at Dive Charter Curacao has a newly refitted rib boat for your East end dives. Oops, there goes your week, plan on two next trip. See you next weekend! Sunshine

Some not on your list:

Tugboat on the east side of town - the boat itself is 20' so do it as a safety stop. The better part of that dive is the wall around the point, it's teeming with eels. Also you can dive the pier if there's no ship moored - I've heard it's excellent but no exp. since there was.

Vaersenbaai can be an interesting dive. Go east. There's a big pontoon boat wreck at 80' sort of perched at an angle, it's the one they used for that area's carpile (there's two of them) It's flat on top but interesting underneath, lots of things living under it. It's a good turn point. We found seahorses at the mooring ball in 40' several 6-8' or larger Moray Eels, a swarm of squid just off the dock and coming back in hug the beach, there's turtles feeding in 6' of water - the operator said they're always there. Ask him where the seahorses are also.

Nos Kas - the ex-Habitat resort house reef is one of the better dives we did. It's inside Coral Estates - Habitat closed but the dive is still there - assuming the stairs are also. I've read the CE guard will let you in to dive there but bring all your own gear. We met several divers who own at Coral Estates so I'm guessing there's some option there. Go left at the Porto Mari turn-off and you'll end up there.

My friends wife used to guide dives on Curacao. She said one of her favorite sites was Snake Bay but we didn't have time. Said they'd regularly see dolphins there.

Playa Jeremi is also a good dive if you're in the area. It's a few minutes north of Lagun. No facilities so bring everything. It's actually one of the top snorkeling destinations on Frommer's list for the Caribbean - like Lagun that's along the cliff walls on either side of the cove. I don't snorkel as a rule but I did there on the north side.

Ocean Encounters dives the Producer. Caribbean Sea Sports at the Marriot does it Thursday morning. There's a few other wreck options listed here but nothing very interesting - or divable. http://www.curacaoduikmagazine.com/Wrecks of Curacao.pdf

Last edited:
You are probably there now. you have mentioned some good ones but a dive that we loved was with Mark at the Dive Bus. a nice long wall dive from Directors Bay around the right side of the point and into the bay. Not many wall dives on Curacao but that is a good one.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom