Returning from abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just thinking -- I can't lock my checked bag on my way out of the country because the TSA will want the option of opening it, but what about the way back? What are the authorities doing in Mexico, does anyone know? Is luggage also inspected upon arrival in the US by the TSA?

The word is to use electrical ties....and if the TSA...and supposedly any other agency wants to look in...they cut the tie and replace it when done.

i can only speak for stateside...and germany....no problems with checks or not replacing ties. I would recommend using a non-descript bag....nothing that yells...hey i am scuba gear...steal me.

good luck....

because the ties won't work with it, but given the destination, I think the contents of the bag will be obvious. The only good thing is that it is a direct flight.

ya got me confused....if you can put a lock on it..why not a twist tie....must be an inset combo lock??? huh???

yep...at least if there is no intermediate stops along the way you have better chances...and....i have not been in an airport yet where i couldnt watch the TSA check the bag...and place it on the conveyer belt.....and i travel A LOT in my job

wish you luck

in question is a hard, nondescript suitcase with its own inset combinationa lock, so we'll have to see what else we have. We might be able to fit all the stuff - the neoprene, bcd's, and fins, in one dive bag, though.

The flight will be nonstop both ways. Get on the plane here in LA, get off the plane in Loreto. It's the getting back on the plane in Loreto that makes me wonder. There is no TSA in Mexico, but if the final destination is the US, what do they do? Maybe I should ask what it is like to fly out of Mexico in the Mexico forum...

Since the new xray and baggage check systems were put into place, we've been to Mexico, Bahamas and Cayman. In all 3 places, all luggage that was to be checked was opened and hand searched just before you got to the counter. Once searched, you could lock your bag or put a sleeve over it or whatever, but in all these destinations the inspectors would handle your bag from that point. You couldn't actually touch it yourself. Carryons were all xrayed and hand inspected at security, similar to the procedure at US airports.

Only thing in Mexico was that they made us take batteries out of anything that had batteries in it, and they were especially interested in having us take apart our dive lights.

Kelpmermaid, I returned from Canada recently with a lockable trial bag containing electronic exhibits. I duct taped the bag shut. There was no way that they could have opened it without my noticing it.

As we reached the counter our bag was hand searched and then immediately handed it in as we check in. At that time we were allowed to lock and/or strap the luggage because it would only be Electronically searched after that. That was in the Cancun Airport and a Charter flight for Apple Vacations with USA3000.

At Houston Bush Int. airport, our bags were checked in with no locks allowed and were told they would be inspected in the back and a zip-tie placed on it. We asked about the X-ray machine that was set up next to the counter and were told they weren't using it that day! This was all from the TACA staff. When I unpacked in Roatan, I did find a notice that TSA had searched my bag but there were no zip-ties anywhere. The luggage apes and thieves in Houston were the ones I was concerned about with our Non-stop flight.

Coming back and flying INTO the States, there was the searching from hell going on at Roatan Int. airport. We were the first to get flagged through two seperate security areas without being searched at all. How many passed through behind us, I don't know, but they got every one of the dozen or so ahead of us. Maybe we just look so harmless?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom