Returning from 10 years off..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesmerman

Reaction score
Hello All! I was diving quite regurlarly, but have been out of it for 10 years. Lots of new stuff. Better equipment, better communications. Im a bit confused about the requirements now. Anyone feel like filling me in?
Steve

Where are you at? What kind of diving do you do?
Later~

Steve,

Your question is a tad broad. Couple suggestions.

First, divide up the sorts of things you'd be interested in by categories.

Second, do some searches by category (box below the header box, third button from the right, beneath your login name). You'll find hundreds of past threads on all sorts of topics.

Third, after you've narrowed it down a bit, come up with some specific issues you want input on.

Finally, fill out your profile. As JPBeck indicated, in order for people to respond with anything thats meaningfull to you, they need to know where you dive, what sort of diving you do, where you're at along the learning/experience curve, etc.

Then when you post specific questions, you'll receive specific answers based on the information you provide. Hope this helps.

I went through something similar after a much bigger gap. While my back was turned they invented BCs and single hose regulators became common....

I would suggest doing a refresher course. Many LDSs offer them. I have been participating in some other threads and it's amazing how training standards & practices change over just a few years. Even basic practices like CESAs and neutral ascents to say nothing of computers and gas mixtures.

mesmerman:
Hello All! I was diving quite regurlarly, but have been out of it for 10 years. Lots of new stuff. Better equipment, better communications. Im a bit confused about the requirements now. Anyone feel like filling me in?
Steve
Until recently, most of my rig, minus my wetsuit, was 20+ years old - simply because the new stuff, while new, wasn't any better! Even computers were around 10 yrs ago, though price/availability wasn't what it is today.

What probably has changed, and not for the better, are your skills and memory of procedures you don't use during every dive (emergency procedures, etc). Folks that recommended a refresher course are right-on in that assessment...

At the very least do a scuba skills update course. Our shop charges just 50 bucks for this. It's the best money you can spend.

mesmerman:
Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome back to diving!

I came back to diving last year after having been off for fifteen years(with approx 200 dives when I left), and I did fine...You will be fine also...

My suggestion is to get an OW book from somewhere and read it cover to cover...Then, as some have sasuggested, consider doing an update course. I didn't take an update course, but I have friends that dive and I went with them, slowly at first, gradually getting the skills back. After I knew enough about the equipment, I bought my own again

I've since taken AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, and a few other classes I can't remember...and might do DM at some point...

Keep going!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only.

Long as you've been out, probably be a good idea to start over at square one...?

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd complete your Profile - especially looking for dive buddies...

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom