Returning after 30 years!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAP diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Name is Brett, 50 y/o and I just got recertified in May with my 14 y/o son who got certified for the first time. Needless to say we are both beginners and all of our dives have been at Breakwater cove Monterey CA. Cold water diving for sure but we are enjoying it. We have several dive dates planned in the next several months getting us prepared for Maui. So far we are having a blast!

Thank you! I see your in Puget Sound. Definitely cold water. I have a question for you. I'm looking in to getting my own kit and am leaning towards BP/W and considering dive rites XT1/XT4 regs. Any experience or recommendations? Thanks

Thank you! I see your in Puget Sound. Definitely cold water. I have a question for you. I'm looking in to getting my own kit and am leaning towards BP/W and considering dive rites XT1/XT4 regs. Any experience or recommendations? Thanks
HOG makes a great plate and wing for the cost. Go with at least a 30 lb wing to accommodate the necessary lead and steel tanks worn when in cold water. I'm not all that versed in regs. I use a 20 year old Titan set and it performs well for me. I would however caution buying the shiny expensive stuff. A good cold water rated reg doesn't necessarily have to set you back $1k. Plenty of good new ones on the $500 range.

I was planning on aluminum tank so a 30# wing should definitely be enough. Is there a benefit to the steel over aluminum? thanks again!

You will be very pleased with the new xt4 regs. I have been diving them for a couple of years now. They are excellent.

I was planning on aluminum tank so a 30# wing should definitely be enough. Is there a benefit to the steel over aluminum? thanks again!
Steels give you significantly more air. HP 100s are common on our coast and the go to tank when you buy your own. You'll need less lead in your wait pouches and belt using steel over AL. Steel is less susceptible to damage from an over zealous tank monkey over filling it. An AL tank filled to 3300 psi could be damaged of done often enough. My steel tanks are cold filed to 3800. Any less and I give a "really" look to the shop worker filling tanks. Overall they're better for everything in cold water. AL 80s are great for a rental fleet since they're cheap. The AL 80s also work great for stage and bail out bottles.

A BP/W with a steel backplate will let you carry about 6lbs less because of the weight of the steel backplate.

A steel tank will allow you to carry less weight as well because it doesn't have the significant increase in buoyancy at the end of the dive that aluminum does.

A BP/W with a steel backplate will let you carry about 6lbs less because of the weight of the steel backplate.

A steel tank will allow you to carry less weight as well because it doesn't have the significant increase in buoyancy at the end of the dive that aluminum does.
They have the same buoyancy shift per CF drop. The difference is the weight of the steel tank material being inherently more negative than AL. You still use ~8 lbs of air but the steel tank remains neg where the AL gets floaty.
Faber steel 100 weighs 35lb empty
Catalina AL 80 weighs 31lb empty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom