Trip Report Return to Paradise: Our Third Expedition at Sorido Bay Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This report details our third 18-day excursion to Sorido Bay Resort (SBR) in December 2023 - January 2024.

IMG_6541~photo.JPG

RESERVATION

As per usual, I arranged our reservation directly with the resort, my preferred method of booking. Booking directly also enrolls you in their loyalty program, granting 15% off on the second trip and 20% off on the third.

Given its remote location, I recommend a minimum stay of two weeks.

Communication via email with the resort was seamless, with prompt and detailed replies. They accept various payment methods, and I opted for TransferWise, simplifying transactions from Canada.

ACCOMMODATION

SBR is an intimate resort, hosting a maximum of 18 guests. With only seven bungalows - five Sentani (for 2 people) and two Kaimana (for up to 4 people) - booking well in advance, particularly during the holiday season, is advisable.

All bungalows are generously spacious, situated along a pristine sandy beach, approximately 10 meters from the water. The design and construction quality are exceptional, with durable fixtures throughout.

The rooms are notably spacious and inviting, featuring firm and comfortable bedding. The air conditioning is notably potent, ensuring personalized comfort levels.

Each bungalow has its own 'camera room,' equipped with a long table, camera washing sink, and international and US power outlets.

Sorido Bay Room.png

View from our deck.

IMG_6667~photo.JPG

DIVING

Diving experiences were extraordinary. With a diverse array of marine life and vibrant coral, divers may find themselves overwhelmed by the sensory richness, as aptly noted by one participant. Identifying the best dive site is challenging, given the ever-changing underwater landscape; returning to the same site on different days often reveals new marine wonders.

A consistent feature is the sizable school of sweetlips at Cape Kri, reliably spotted at approximately 35 – 40 meters. Mantas abound at Manta Ridge, often in close proximity to both each other and divers. However, luck was less favorable at Blue Magic, where sightings were scarce during our recent visits, likely due to high diver traffic.

Nevertheless, encounters with blacktip sharks, wobbegong sharks, crocodile fish, jacks, barracudas, and sweetlips were plentiful. Though currents in the Dampier Strait can be strong, guides exercise caution to ensure safety, even securing ropes for safety stops as needed.

Visibility during the 'manta' season (December - February) is somewhat compromised due to nutrient-rich waters teeming with plankton. According to resort staff, optimal visibility occurs from September to October, coinciding with visits from professional videographers.

EXCURSIONS

A highlight not to be missed is a day trip to the Fam Islands, featuring diving at Melissa Garden,one of my favorite dive sites.
IMG_6712~photo.JPG

Thank you for the report! I watch all your stuff on YouTube, you produce really engrossing and visually stunning videos!

@Laval, another home-run video. Thank you! We're 14 weeks out from Sorido Bay--you really make me wish it was next Tuesday! Not to probe trade secrets, but when you "zoom in" on the macro critters, are you using both cameras?

@Laval, another home-run video. Thank you! We're 14 weeks out from Sorido Bay--you really make me wish it was next Tuesday! Not to probe trade secrets, but when you "zoom in" on the macro critters, are you using both cameras?
Thanks for you kind comments. The GoPro is used by my wife, and for wide angle only. I used only a few clips from GoPro in this video. My camera rig with Sony camcorder PXW-Z90 in Gates housing allows me to film wide angle (i.e. manta rays or whale sharks) and macro on the same dive. For macro I have diopters (10X and 6X) attached to the wide angle dome. I just need to flip them and I can film macro.
So, are you going to be at Sorido Bay Resort sometime in October?

So, are you going to be at Sorido Bay Resort sometime in October?
We'll be there the last week of October shaking off cobwebs before a liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom