Return to Cozumel after 6 year absence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first one, by size, sounds like a rainbow parrotfish.

You might be right, although the guy I saw today was much more red than most of the pictures of rainbow parrotfish on the web. He was freaking huge though, the size of a big grouper!

Have you had a chance to eat at the food stand between Sabor and Residencias Reef? It is a great lunch option for us that love the solitude of the RR. Thanks for the trip report!

I have not tried Dona Chely's yet, but it's on my list. I've heard good things. Problem is I have a very short window between getting gear cleaned up and when they close, but I'm going to try to make it happen tomorrow or Friday.

You might be right, although the guy I saw today was much more red than most of the pictures of rainbow parrotfish on the web.
Here's a crop from an old photo from Bonaire. Allowing for individual variation (and I usually see more of an orange than red, but this one is right below the water's surface, so it'd look different at depth), perhaps yours just had less green?
Richard SD 1 157.jpeg

Great report as always, @DeltaWardog. Question about your need for a short HP hose: was it to keep your transmitter closer to your computer, to reduce communication outages?

Just trying to learn about hoseless AI. I dive with an Aeris hosed-based AI computer currently and thinking of making a switch.

perhaps yours just had less green?

Yes I would say if you took that red, made it deeper like a deep maroon, and took the red all the way back to the tail, that would be the goliath I saw today. Or maybe he's like a parrotfish version of the hulk and he just has his own color scheme now that he got that big. 🤷‍♂️

Question about your need for a short HP hose: was it to keep your transmitter closer to your computer, to reduce communication outages?

It's because the Garmin transmitters use some kind of wacky sonar to communicate with the computer, unlike the radio transmitters that have worked for everyone since the beginning of time. That's all fine and dandy, but when the transmitter is right behind your head you hear that chirp go off every 10 seconds and it gets irritating. I noticed if I moved my head forward just a little bit that the sound would get much quieter. So I figured it must have a really short audible range, and if I just moved it down to my side with a hose the sound would go away completely.

I was right. Today's dives where mercifully sonar chirp free. I just have the hose tucked down the side of the bcd where I wear the watch, and have the hose clipped in with a trim weight pocket flap. Works great.

If anyone using a Garmin transmitter decides to do this, pay attention to your manual! It specifies that you have to remove the default flow restrictor and replace it with the other 'air spool' that came with the transmitter. It specifically says NOT to use the default restrictor with a hose. Why? I have no idea. But I did what they told me so I won't die, or something.

You might be right, although the guy I saw today was much more red than most of the pictures of rainbow parrotfish on the web. He was freaking huge though, the size of a big grouper!
Stoplight parrotfish, Maybe?

It's because the Garmin transmitters use some kind of wacky sonar to communicate with the computer, unlike the radio transmitters that have worked for everyone since the beginning of time.
Normal radio does not work well or at all underwater, especially in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom