Return to Cozumel after 6 year absence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone. I made it back to Cozumel yesterday after a 6 year absence. It is good to be back!

Arrival at the airport was the same as it ever was. I flew Southwest from Denver through Houston, and both planes were only about 2/3 full. Upon arrival they deplaned from front and back. I was sitting right up front since I was the absolute first in line for general boarding (that's never happened before!), but it was all for naught, as one of my checked bags was literally the last one on the conveyor. No worries, the airport staff had things running like clockwork and I only had to wait 20 minutes or so in the baggage scan line. I was unlucky enough to get selected for the full cavity search, and I didn't even get to push the button! This was the first time I had to do this, as I've been lucky with green lights on every prior trip. Luck runs out! As I was walking to the button a security guy asked me "habla Espanol?" to which I replied no since my Spanish is coming along but not up to the challenge of a airport security discussion. He redirected me from the imminent button press right to the searchin' table. But after digging through my clean laundry and opening every zipper and latch in everything in my luggage, and finding nothing but boring old scuba gear, I was out the door and running the timeshare gauntlet (successfully) and getting my shuttle ticket.

As we drove through town, I was amazed at how busy the island was for September, all due to the IronMan races. After getting settled at Residencias Reef I caught a taxi back to town and walked around for a couple hours. The event was over but there were still people walking around everywhere. I would say maybe 70/30 on mask usage, but I wasn't running a tally or anything. It's certainly much higher than back home in Colorado. But there are still plenty of locals not masking up, it's not just the touristas. I walked by Hooters and Senor Frogs and they were DEAD for Saturday night! It was still a little early but yikes, they were both almost empty. Maybe not the right scene for Triathletes? :)

After I got tired of walking around I hit Chedraui for supplies and caught a cab back to the condo and just relaxed. There's nothing like that first cerveza after your travel day is done!

This morning after breakfast I walked down the beach past Carlos & Charlies to scope my dive boat pickup site for the afternoon. The sargassum is real, even here on the west side! More than I've ever seen before, although it is certainly not in drifts like the pictures posted of the east side. I could see several flotillas of it drifting in the channel as we flew in yesterday, so I knew there was going to be a lot! The RR beach and Carlos & Charlies were well groomed though, considering.

Finally the afternoon rolled around and I got to immerse myself in salt water for the first time in 6 years. It was just me and two other divers who were also doing their first dives of the trip. So we did two easy dives on La Francesca and Paseo de Cedral. Everything looks just as good as I remember. In just those two dives I saw 4 green turtles and 1 huge loggerhead, who had a big divot in the back of his shell, probably a propeller scar. Didn't seem to be bothering him fortunately. My DM found a splendid toadfish right out of the gate on our first dive, which was cool. And near the midpoint in Paseo de Cedral I got to see a nurse shark leave her napping spot because she wanted nothing to do with me after I drifted over her ledge. The one thing I did not see on either dive was a Lionfish. Couldn't believe it. I don't think I've had a diving day in Cozumel without Lionfish since 2008-ish.

That's it for the report so far. As I said, it's good to be back!

Glad to hear you're back; have a great trip. Hope you rack up a big dive count!

I was sitting right up front since I was the absolute first in line for general boarding (that's never happened before!), but it was all for naught, as one of my checked bags was literally the last one on the conveyor.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Which dive op. are you diving with?

I would say maybe 70/30 on mask usage, but I wasn't running a tally or anything.
I thought the mask compliance was about 50% among locals downtown when I was there last month, zero enforcement that I saw, but that's my view. Wear yours, avoid the unmasked, and have a good trip.

Got a plan for the required Covid test before return? You need to get it within three days before departure, some say three calendar days but I played it safe and got mine with 72 hours in case the airline agent didn't agree, but you might plan on your now. I stayed downtown so walked two blocks to a clinic on 15th ave, but there are several choices.

You can still do the baby turtle rescue one afternoon if you'd like. I don't think they had those open to the public six years ago. I found it very rewarding as well as very sandy since you're digging as deep as you can reach in new holes. Wear clothes you don't mind getting filthy.

Got a plan for the required Covid test before return? You need to get it within three days before departure, some say three calendar days but I played it safe and got mine with 72 hours in case the airline agent didn't agree, but you might plan on your now. I stayed downtown so walked two blocks to a clinic on 15th ave, but there are several choices.
The later the better. Less time to contract covid after the test. With 15-30 minute results on the rapid test, there's little reason to do it 3 days prior. Maybe 3 days before is your "off" day (or bad weather day) but most people have some time on their last full day since shouldn't they be diving after noon.

The unvaccinated are looking at a 1 day window come November, based on early info.

The later the better. Less time to contract covid after the test. With 15-30 minute results on the rapid test, there's little reason to do it 3 days prior
Oh, if one contracted it within the three-day test window, I don't think it'd show up on a test that fast anyway. I incurred more exposure last week on a tour, wearing my masks but often around unmasked others, got home Friday, so I have scheduled a well-test five days later.

On the other hand, the later he tests, the more likely the test would show an infection acquired from exposure later in the trip.

Oh, if one contracted it within the three-day test window, I don't think it'd show up on a test that fast anyway. I incurred more exposure last week on a tour, wearing my masks but often around unmasked others, got home Friday, so I have scheduled a well-test five days later.

On the other hand, the later he tests, the more likely the test would show an infection acquired from exposure later in the trip.

I still cannot understand why there are any unvaxxed fools. Mind boggling. This pandemic would cease if everyone got the jab.

They say not to get a test until 48 hours after exposure to ensure it will detect anything. So a test on Friday might not detect contraction on Wednesday but a test on Wednesday might not contract exposure on Monday (two days into a week long stay). Still, the net effect of a one day window is you cover 2 more days of possible exposure.

Thanks for your report! In less than 3 weeks I will be in Cozumel, also staying at the RR. Was the restaurant at Carlos and Charlies open? Not that it is as good as what I can get in town, but good to walk over for some food after arriving. Any intel on the pier at Secrets and if they are consistent with their new $5 fee? Thanks in advance!

@ReefHound Does the rapid test meet the antigen test requirements?

Thanks for your report! In less than 3 weeks I will be in Cozumel, also staying at the RR. Was the restaurant at Carlos and Charlies open? Not that it is as good as what I can get in town, but good to walk over for some food after arriving. Any intel on the pier at Secrets and if they are consistent with their new $5 fee? Thanks in advance!

@ReefHound Does the rapid test meet the antigen test requirements?
The antigen test is interchangeably called the "rapid test", as opposed to the PCR test which takes 24 hrs or more to get results.

Enjoy island time! Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Lucky you...... being there!

Which dive op. are you diving with?
I'm diving with ScubaTony. My DM yesterday was Martin, recently of Blue XTSea fame. Today it was Miguel, and I forgot to ask how long he's been with Tony or if he also came over from Blue XTSea. I know from their website that all of the ScubaTony DMs I knew from the days of yore are no longer with the company, but it has been a long time so to be expected.

Got a plan for the required Covid test before return?
Nothing firm. Folks have posted so many options here on the board and I took notes. I'll stop by the hospital or one of the clinics on my last day after diving. I have trip insurance so if the test is positive, I've got another free week+ of vacation. :rofl3:
as the restaurant at Carlos and Charlies open? Not that it is as good as what I can get in town, but good to walk over for some food after arriving. Any intel on the pier at Secrets and if they are consistent with their new $5 fee?

I don't know about C&C's for sure but I can tell you there was zero activity there yesterday afternoon, and of course in the morning today it was way too early. If I get a chance I'll stop in and ask them.

I'm not using the Secrets pier but both today and yesterday I saw they had a uniformed staff member sitting there with the divers waiting for their boats, so I'm guessing he's the tolltaker. I asked the owner of the condo I'm renting the same question as you, and he said they are very consistent, so plan on having to pay every day - but don't buy them ALL in advance because you might get lucky.

Glad folks liked the report. I didn't bring a camera on this trip so you won't get any pictures out of me (I'm not a good photographer anyway) but I know I'm always thirsty for recent adventures on the island when I'm back home reading ScubaBoard, so just trying to do my part. I don't have much to report today, the current was really up and we had to abort our plan of Palancar Caves, since we had some newer divers on board. So I ended up doing the same two sites I did yesterday. Miguel did find a pipefish, a feat of visual acuity which still boggles my mind - how do they see things that small? Otherwise it was just a chill couple of dives with no spectacular sightings. The turtles and sharks must have all been sleeping today! That's okay, the nitrogen hit was still good.

Tonight I'm off to El Pique, my favorite tacqueria, for a great dinner. Then I'll check out the Super Aki across the street to resupply. It was San Francisco supermarket last time I was here, so not sure if it was bought, rebranded or what. Will be interesting to see if/how it's changed.

Then one short sleep, and I'll do it all over again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom