Return to Cozumel after 6 year absence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last night at Buccano's was amazing but you're probably going to be disappointed with my report. I originally had a reservation for 1 at 6:30, but got a call from old friends who had just arrived on the island and wanted to meet up for dinner. Funnily enough, they had tried to get a reservation at Buccano's, too, but there was nothing available before 9:30 which is too late for old friends to start catching up. I called the restaurant to see if I could get my table for 1 changed to a 3 - no problemo. So, report may be fuzzy and get a thing a bit wrong here and there, because my attention was far less on the restaurant and food than talking with friends I haven't seen in 7 years! But here are my impressions.

Arriving at the beach club you immediately get a sense this place has class. The signs, decor, and styling all have an elegant tropical look to them. Walking into an immaculately clean lobby, I was greeted by staff who said the hostess would be back momentarily. I took the time to peruse the gift shop which had some interesting items like hand-painted re-usable totes for groceries and such (canvas bags I think?) and some nice paintings, along with the usual jewelry, figurines, and such you find in these places. Suddenly my friends were there and the reunion began. The hostess came along shortly and took us upstairs where she asked if we'd like to sit outside or in. My friends who are both fluent in Spanish (one a native speaker) talked to them briefly about the mosquito situation and the hostess recommended we stay inside, so that's what we did.

The inside of the restaurant is gorgeous. Large stone pillars are accentuated by dark hardwood tables and a long wall of glass to look through to the ocean and enjoy the sunset. There is tasteful art everywhere. This is high end dining and the restaurant would be A List in any major metropolis in the U.S.

For my descriptions on food please realize this is all from memory, and if you've been following along with my trip reports you've seen me comment that it is unreliable at best - especially tonight since I was basking in the glow of catching up with my friends. So please forgive any minor discrepancies. The soul and feel of the dishes will still be captured as best I can. :)

For an appetizer we had something called firecrackers which were roasted cauliflower with a mild red habanero sauce on them. It was extremely tasty and not overly fiery at all, with just enough zing to let you know it was there. They also gave us some small bread appetizers in tiny muffin cups that I barely glanced at, but I think it was some type of poppy seed bread with a cheese drizzle on top? Not sure on that one, but it was delicious.

Their list of wines by the glass looked fleshed out, but I always go straight for the cabs. They had a cabernet merlot blend that looked tasty. My friend had the straight cab and said it was a bit sweet (not to my liking) so it turned out I made a good choice. The wine was excellent. I had two glasses that night and got back from dinner way late, so that's why you didn't get this report until today. :)

For dinner I selected one of the specials, a Queen Snapper served over a bed of some delicious potatoes in a slightly spicy creme sauce, and roasted string beans. The snapper was melt in your mouth perfect on the inside, and the skin crisped with perfect military precision. The entire dish went down very easy and each bite was fantastic. I wish I could have paid more attention to it to give you more details, but we were long lost in swapping stories at that point.

One of my friends had a plate of four vegan Jackfruit tacos which he thought were wonderful, so that's an option if you're shying away from meat. They certainly looked good!

All told, an appetizer, dinner for 3, and 2 drinks each came out to about 2500 pesos. That is an absolute steal for the quality of the food, the ambiance and decor of the restaurant, and the level of service we received. I have now seen why this place is so highly regarded. They've earned that reputation.

My first few dives with the 120s were also challenging, rolling around and feeling unbalanced. As I think you’ve seen, you get used to it and adjust without thinking much about it.

Yes, I definitely got progressively better with each dive, and the second day was great once I just ditched all the extra weights. I certainly did not fall in love with diving steel tanks, but I think a few more dives and it will become second nature.

Aldora treated me well, and were accomodating with my only real complaint of being asked to pay for nitrox when I didn't ask for it and didn't expect to be diving with it prior to arriving on the boat. I will happily give my recommendation to anyone that wants to dive with them, and I'll be keeping them in my back pocket for any future scheduling issues with my favorite op. They are the fourth op I've dived with in Cozumel, sixth counting ops on the mainland, and they've earned a solid second place on my list.

Then he dropped a bomb on me - we're diving Nitrox. Wait, what? Now when I filled out all the Aldora forms the day before, they asked what gas I wanted and I said 'air'. I haven't dived Nitrox since 2008 because I never feel like I need it. But he said they put everybody on Nitrox so the group can stay together better.
This may be a dumb question, but what if you weren't Nitrox-certified?

That's actually a fantastic question. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to derail my trip report thread with a flame war. But.... yeah. I mean, the risks are pretty minimal if you stay with the group, but the cert and training are there for a reason. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe they had some way to look me up in the PADI system? But like I said, I don't want to get into a big discussion about how that was handled here. This thread is a happy place. :)

That's actually a fantastic question. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to derail my trip report thread with a flame war. But.... yeah. I mean, the risks are pretty minimal if you stay with the group, but the cert and training are there for a reason. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe they had some way to look me up in the PADI system? But like I said, I don't want to get into a big discussion about how that was handled here. This thread is a happy place. :)
Agree with everything you said. I'm happier after reading your posts :)

Last night at Buccano's was amazing but you're probably going to be disappointed with my report. I originally had a reservation for 1 at 6:30, but got a call from old friends who had just arrived on the island and wanted to meet up for dinner. Funnily enough, they had tried to get a reservation at Buccano's, too, but there was nothing available before 9:30 which is too late for old friends to start catching up. I called the restaurant to see if I could get my table for 1 changed to a 3 - no problemo. So, report may be fuzzy and get a thing a bit wrong here and there, because my attention was far less on the restaurant and food than talking with friends I haven't seen in 7 years! But here are my impressions.

Arriving at the beach club you immediately get a sense this place has class. The signs, decor, and styling all have an elegant tropical look to them. Walking into an immaculately clean lobby, I was greeted by staff who said the hostess would be back momentarily. I took the time to peruse the gift shop which had some interesting items like hand-painted re-usable totes for groceries and such (canvas bags I think?) and some nice paintings, along with the usual jewelry, figurines, and such you find in these places. Suddenly my friends were there and the reunion began. The hostess came along shortly and took us upstairs where she asked if we'd like to sit outside or in. My friends who are both fluent in Spanish (one a native speaker) talked to them briefly about the mosquito situation and the hostess recommended we stay inside, so that's what we did.

The inside of the restaurant is gorgeous. Large stone pillars are accentuated by dark hardwood tables and a long wall of glass to look through to the ocean and enjoy the sunset. There is tasteful art everywhere. This is high end dining and the restaurant would be A List in any major metropolis in the U.S.

For my descriptions on food please realize this is all from memory, and if you've been following along with my trip reports you've seen me comment that it is unreliable at best - especially tonight since I was basking in the glow of catching up with my friends. So please forgive any minor discrepancies. The soul and feel of the dishes will still be captured as best I can. :)

For an appetizer we had something called firecrackers which were roasted cauliflower with a mild red habanero sauce on them. It was extremely tasty and not overly fiery at all, with just enough zing to let you know it was there. They also gave us some small bread appetizers in tiny muffin cups that I barely glanced at, but I think it was some type of poppy seed bread with a cheese drizzle on top? Not sure on that one, but it was delicious.

Their list of wines by the glass looked fleshed out, but I always go straight for the cabs. They had a cabernet merlot blend that looked tasty. My friend had the straight cab and said it was a bit sweet (not to my liking) so it turned out I made a good choice. The wine was excellent. I had two glasses that night and got back from dinner way late, so that's why you didn't get this report until today. :)

For dinner I selected one of the specials, a Queen Snapper served over a bed of some delicious potatoes in a slightly spicy creme sauce, and roasted string beans. The snapper was melt in your mouth perfect on the inside, and the skin crisped with perfect military precision. The entire dish went down very easy and each bite was fantastic. I wish I could have paid more attention to it to give you more details, but we were long lost in swapping stories at that point.

One of my friends had a plate of four vegan Jackfruit tacos which he thought were wonderful, so that's an option if you're shying away from meat. They certainly looked good!

All told, an appetizer, dinner for 3, and 2 drinks each came out to about 2500 pesos. That is an absolute steal for the quality of the food, the ambiance and decor of the restaurant, and the level of service we received. I have now seen why this place is so highly regarded. They've earned that reputation.
We had dinner at Buccannos last night as well! As delicious as you described it. We has the cauliflower appetizer from the vegan menu as well. I never disappoints. Your trip reports were great. Enjoyed reading them.

I have been on boats when all but one were diving Nitrox so they just told the would-be air diver that he was doing a Nitrox intro.

[...]
I'm glad you liked Buccano's; dinner there a must-do for my group on every trek to Cozumel. I am a fan of their Lobster Mac and Cheese; don't knock it till you try it. :cool:

You might of mentioned it already and i missed it
fish life comparisons
reef health comparisons
thnx and thnx for posting

Today I'll drop a very quick note on dinner yesterday and then move into today's dives. I skipped the dive report yesterday because it was places I've already written about this trip, and there's weren't any rare sightings to report on.

For an early dinner yesterday I decided to hit Cerveceria Punta Sur. I'd been out of Colorado for a week at that point, and when we haven't had an IPA infusion in that long we start to get a little woozy. I also wanted to try the Lionfish pizza. Halfway through my (delicious) IPA the pizza arrived and for once I remembered that some people like to see pictures of this stuff. The sculpture art might not be up to Buccano's standards, but here you go:

Lionfish_Pizza.PNG

The pizza has lionfish meat, garlic, and capers. I thought the first slice was fantastic, but the more I ate of it the less enamored I was with it. It wasn't a bad pizza by any means, I think it just wasn't my style after all. But you'll never find new things you love if you don't try new things! And by the time I left there was only one slice left on the platter. I would certainly go back and try a different pizza next time.

On to today's dives. The first was Palancar Caves, but I'm not going to talk much about it. Swimthroughs, towering coral formations, you know the drill by now. Spectacular sightseeing, but not much to speak of for non-fishy wildlife on this dive. The only thing of note I remember was one of those small white rays with the brown markings. I am not sure what they are called but they are much smaller than the southern stingrays.

The next dive was spectacular, though. After a shorter than usual SI where we just stayed on the boat, we hit Columbia Shallows. This is always one of my favorite dives on a trip. The average depth on this dive is 25-30ft for the entire dive. It starts with lots of small coral heads littered across the sandy bottom, and as the dive progresses the coral heads get larger and larger.

To me this dive feels like a treasure hunt. The site is so flat that it's very easy to survey the scene and pick a coral head you want to go peek under. Looking in every nook and cranny and finding things to show your dive buddies is really fun.

We dropped in and immediately had two southern stingrays swim away from us slowly, in formation. Watching them glide around when they aren't in a hurry is always soothing to me. They look like a little underwater magic carpet searching for a new djinn to ride them! The magic show was just starting, though.

Next, the group found what was, by all accounts, a huge green moray. I was at the front of the column and didn't feel like swimming against the current to take a look, so I'll take their word for it. I was busy checking out some Flamingo Tongues which I thought was a type of nudibranch, but just learned is actually a snail. Writing these reports is teaching me a few things!

One of the highlights of the dive came next. Martin spotted a juvenile nurse shark half tucked into a teeny ledge under a small coral head. The shark was only about 2 feet long and was super cute. It continued its nap while we all got our fill peeking at him from various nooks and crannies. This was the smallest one I've seen in a long time, maybe ever!

We moved on, swimming in the gentle current amongst the masses of tiny coral heads, full of juvenile fish everywhere. Suddenly my entire field of view was obscured. A french angelfish had decided to swim right in front of my mask, maybe an inch away! I followed him with my head as he slowly went by, then he came back for another pass. This fish was into me for some reason! I have never seen anything like it. He kept buzzing my mask and swimming around my head for a good 3 minutes, time and time again swimming RIGHT in front of my face and giving me the hairy eyeball. I don't know if he was trying to chase me off, looking for a handout, sizing ME up as food, or just wanted to make friends. But it was a very cool experience to have such a close fish buddy for a few minutes.

My dive buddy found a juvenile puffer fish after that, about 4 inches long and the size of a child's balled fist. He was super cute! Interestingly his eyes looked very different from an adult. An adult puffer's eyes are jet black, but this guy had sparkly flecks of purple and silver all over his eyeball. At first I thought he must have some kind of infection or parasite latched onto his eyeball, but when he turned around the other eye looked identical. It was like he had galaxy marbles for eyes and looked really trippy. If he doesn't grow out of them, the lady puffers are going to be swooning.

Next up on the treasure hunt was a scorpionfish that Martin found sunbathing out in the open on the side of a coral head. He gave the usual scorpionfish greeting of doing absolutely nothing as we all took a look and then passed on by.

The next highlight was spectacular. A hawksbill turtle swam towards us just at the edge of the coral field, along the sandy bottom. We saw him in plenty of time to plot an intercept course and swim over to his side of the reef, then go still as he approached us. He swam right between our group without a care in the world, just inches away from me. He was quite obviously looking for a good lunch and we were in his way! I spun 180 degrees and gave a few small kicks to swim with him for a moment, and was briefly in turtle heaven.

And then the last big treat of the dive came. Martin spotted what he later said was a lizard fish. Using my cheat sheet fish ID website I believe this is the same thing as a sand diver. It was skittish but the group was full of pros today and we were able to swim calmly and carefully enough to get a real good look at him before he flitted off to more serene underwater pastures.

The rest of the dive was just us poking around, swimming through large schools of grunts here and there, and enjoying watching the angelfish, parrotfish, and trunkfish scour the grounds for their next meal. A very serene dive but full of fantastic sightings!

Until tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom