Return to Cozumel after 6 year absence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That statement alarmed me a bit. Glad there were only three paying divers and y'all did newbie dives. Do you know how to escape a down current like those found in Coz? Do you still have DAN diver insurance?

I haven't ever been caught in a downcurrent but my understanding is to get as close to the wall as you can, and if necessary swim sideways along it to get out of the current. I think the DMs here are real good about assessing the risk though.

The funny thing about the dives both yesterday and today is that the current was RIPPING even on La Francesca. Some of the fastest drift diving I've ever done in Coz. The island welcomed me back in style! But the DM knew what he was doing, there was no danger of getting swept away on these sites. I gotta hand it to the newbies today, they all did great on air and we still got a full hour in for each dive. It was quite an experience for them and when we were talking during the SI I made sure to let them know how well they did. I was honestly impressed - I was not at that level when I only had a dozen dives under my weight belt.

I have always had DAN insurance in the past but went with DiveAssure for the first time this trip, just to get some extra peace of mind with trip insurance due to the COVID requirement. But yeah, I don't dive without dive insurance!

I haven't ever been caught in a downcurrent but my understanding is to get as close to the wall as you can, and if necessary swim sideways along it to get out of the current.
Yep, that's one way. My preference is to swim away from the wall to get away from it, but both work. I had lunch the other day with an old GF from decades ago whom I'd not seen in a few years, and potentially dangerous scuba diving at my age came up. She mentioned that knowing me I probably take extra precautions. Well, yeah I guess. I seldom see other divers with an extra 19 cf pony or a PLB satellite beacon.
I have always had DAN insurance in the past but went with DiveAssure for the first time this trip, just to get some extra peace of mind with trip insurance due to the COVID requirement. But yeah, I don't dive without dive insurance!
Ok, I forgot that Dive Assure works in international water. Good plan. I always take Trip insurance mostly for medical coverage when I leave the US.

Check out Challengas for some awesome cheap eats too, Los tacosales wasn't bad but wasn't as good as previous trips and unfortunately taco pastor Las gringos is no longer on the menu from the Los otates days. Casa mission for a sit down meal at lunch or dinner is superb

Do you know how to escape a down current like those found in Coz?
Most of the DM's know how to spot them from the surface. But, it's a little scary to swim away from the wall and over the deep to escape one. Never been my experience, but I'm aware of how to do it. Swimming around sand tornadoes is a little weird though.

But, it's a little scary to swim away from the wall and over the deep to escape one.
Yeah, I guess so. Doesn't bother me, but there are two main options. Pick one.

The last time it happened to me, I was told that it was shallow reef dive so I left my pony on the boat, then got blown off of the edge of the reef and down the wall. I was embarrassed to be a hundred feet down alone with my pony on the boat, but men make plans and gods laugh.

I have trip insurance so if the test is positive, I've got another free week+ of vacation. :rofl3:

If being locked in your room with food being placed through the door for 10 days is your idea of a vacation, then enjoy! I mean you’ve got Covid, remember?

If being locked in your room with food being placed through the door for 10 days is your idea of a vacation, then enjoy! I mean you’ve got Covid, remember?
If you're lucky. I'd go crazy even if I didn't get sicker, but stay masked and avoid others.

Nothing firm. Folks have posted so many options here on the board and I took notes. I'll stop by the hospital or one of the clinics on my last day after diving. I have trip insurance so if the test is positive, I've got another free week+ of vacation
If you plan to do the test at the hospital, it has been my experience that you will want to schedule an appointment ahead of time (as far in advance as possible) for the day you want to get tested. Just showing up will likely not work. Wouldn't have for me. The International Hospital has been requiring appointments.

El Pique was amazing as always! I had 3 gringas (al pastor with cheese and pineapple on flour tortilla) which are my favorite. Then on the recommendation of my taxi driver I tried the frijoles charros especial, which was delicious! Too much food but man it was good. I got there about 7:30pm and was one of only two tables in the patio, but by the time I left the place was packed. Business seems to be good!

Super Aki was great, too. Its a very nicely laid out store and they had everything I needed, including sandwich meat which I was unable to locate at Chedraui for whatever reason. I have always liked this store better than Mega or Chedraui, and whatever the reason for the change from San Francisco to Super Aki, that preference remains.

Now I just have to wait until the morning so I can try to convince the DM to take us on a sketchy wall dive where I can practice downcurrent escape techniques! :)

Stand by for tomorrow's restaurant report on dinner at El Moro! And if I get lucky, something more interesting on the dive report than "Fish... lots of fish".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom