Retractor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danninella

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was looking on the internet for Retractors to hang my compass (and other stuff) on.
All the ones I find on the internet and in my LDS are so expensive.

Are there any other kinds of jojo-like things you can use for diving or do I just have to face the facts and buy one of the expensive ones? :confused:

Or can I maybe make one myself somehow?

Retractor like this is what I mean
Retractor.jpg

Hi

I bought one of those retractors to hang my torch from, and it really couldn't take the weight. Also once under the water I managed to pull the torch from the retractor and was left with a repair job back on the boat! They are expensive, I think I managed to get mine from good old ebay for £11 UK (15 euro).

I now wish I had bought one of these:
aqua_clip.jpg

hope this helps?

Graham

I went to the local hardware store and picked up a cable/chain snap.
335.jpg

Then went to walmart and bought a pack of those black hair band things (its like a rubber band with a cloth coating)

Take the hair band and push it through the snap end. Then loop the hair band back through itself and pull tight.
1000462jk9.jpg

Do the same thing with your console, compass, light, etc by pushing the hairband through the console and then push the clip with hair band attached through the end that has been passed through the gear.

1000466ok1.jpg

It's not technically a retractor but it works, i use one to hold my computer, another on my light and another around the mouthpiece on my octo.

At about $0.75 for the clip and $1.96 for 10 bands you save alot over a $30 retractor.

The retractors are so much easier to use though. Definately go for the spring cord lanyard thing if it something heavy like a light. Retractor is sweet for the compass though.

But for about $30 each to me it just wasn't worth it. I can look at my computer without unclipping it and the light can be unclipped with gloves on. I just have other things that i could spend $100 rather than retactors.

There you go. Easy decision. Next topic please.

Years ago I was given one of those fancy retractors. It clutters up your dive rig and a snap bolt is better.
My retractor now holds my net that I use when I fly fish.

I'm not so mad at my money, so I kinda like the snap hair elastic thing there.. heading to the mart this aft.

Back
Top Bottom