Retiring In Roatan Island Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryTat:
I'm Looking For Any Info On This Island.

I've Heard The Island Is Clean...

Some parts yes, some parts are garbage heaps. They do seem to keep it under control- what the tourists see are very nice... just telling the truth here- not much different than any other island. Most people take pride, but if you don't have "heavy item" garbage pick-up days, well... that old car might sit there for a year or two.

Diving Is Awesome...

In many respects, the diving is best appreciated by 'advanced divers'. That is, people who have already seen all the Sharks, Lobsters, big Crabs and big fish... but their observational skills and buoyancy have reached the level where they can appreciate the micro critters that inhabit the South side's "nursery" walls.

Roatan afficianados have magnifying glasses in hand and smiles on their faces.

And Land Is Still Affordable.

If you say so.

Other thoughts: Cost of living.... live like a local, it's reasonable. Buy beef? You better be well off. And so on. Electricity isn't cheap, as a matter of fact- the generation system is absurd. The mainland is dripping in hydroelectric. Can one of the most corrupt nations in the world build a power feed under water to serve the island (like Trinidad/Tobago has) ?

Can Anyone Help Me?

There are some other possibilities, look at Costa Rica (already overpriced) and the new hot market, Nicaragua. I like the stability of the Bay Islands- it will never be as sure a deal as Belize, but I wouldn't worry too much about the Government. Still, though, know that you could lose everything overnight... they also have hurricanes.

Tt

Life is a crap shoot. Go for it. Better that than to be on your death bed thinking, "I wish I had...."

Thanks Roatanman!!!! A Lot To Think About. You Cant Believe Everything You Hear. So I Appreciate Your Input Very Much. Obviously You Have Spent Some Time There.
TT

TerryTat:
I'm Looking For Any Info On This Island. I've Heard The Island Is Clean... Diving Is Awesome... And Land Is Still Affordable.

Can Anyone Help Me?

You might give Mark Havey with Roatan Life Real Estate Call. His office is at Anthony's Key Resort. He was very knowledgable about the how to's and had some nice listings. His phone number:011-504-933-5966
E-mail:www.RoatanlLife.com

Hope this helps a little.

Such a broad question too. There are some very attractive gated communities on Roatan that seem quite plush. Depends on your definition of affordable is though.

To me they seem expensive for a couple of weeks a year, but reasonable if I sold me home in the states. But only you can define these terms for yourself.

I don't think I would want to live in Roatan on a very tight budget. In all honesty, Mexico would probably be the best best (for CA at least). Many many options, even by the water, and if you're retiring you have to consider what infrastructure will be there for you.

I wouldn't want to endure geriatric care in Roatan.

Chaseh:
...snip...

I wouldn't want to endure geriatric care in Roatan.
what he said:crossbone

We bought a nice 2 bedroom condo there with ocean view, on the beach, 2 years ago for under $60k, 2 (same size) have sold this year in the same building for $126K and $131K. We missed out in the Caymans, but figure in 5 years when I can really retire thats were we'll go.

Roatan prices are starting to climb- you may want to look at the real estate pages on roatanet.com to see what is available. My realter is Mary Monterosso of Island properties- she's honest, well informed, and lived on the island and raised her family there for 30 years. Some things are very cheap (property taxes, but I'm from the Bay area in CA so anywhere is pretty much cheaper). Electricity is very expensive and unreliable (budget for new appliances as power surges will zap them every once in a while). I find groceries to be similar to what I pay in CA, and gas much higher (but you just don't use as much). As for medical care- La Ceiba has a nice hospital and modern clinics but anything major and you'll want to fly to the states.
Your best source of information will be to join the Roatan Groups on Yahoo- there are many property owners and retired people on willing to give helpful and realistic advice. We are planning to retire to Roatan and have found that this is the best source for information and answers to your questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom