Retention learning - how to be a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually combine safety and fun when I talk with new divers. I find it that most of them signed up to dive simply to enjoy the experience. Then they would find out that this is a serious sport that needs real discipline and attention to details.

To make sure that they retain what they study, I usually focus on the safety during classroom and pool lessons. Analogies are also helpful to have an easier grasp on things. During check out dives, we still give emphasis on safety and we also let them enjoy the fun part of the experience.

Follow up dives also helps retain and improve their skills. Out-of-diving get together when in the city adds more excitement to going to the next dive trip.

To me it's Safety First...then we have Fun! :wink:

Nice topic!
you're an instructor already!?!?!? kelan pa???

Jag

seriously though... retention is a touchy topic in pedagogy...

what i think is to determine what are key points from which many aspects emerge: for example in an OW course it ought to be bouyancy... how breathing affects it, controlling it, what good control gets you, etc etc etc...

and make this a major component of every - as in every - lesson. I love rhoody's use of a bottle... it drives the point across very well... if that is further translated to how it affects the body in a real marine environment then even better.

that being said: GO LARRY!!! best hijack i've seen in a loooooooong time!

Jag

seriously though... retention is a touchy topic in pedagogy...

what i think is to determine what are key points from which many aspects emerge: for example in an OW course it ought to be bouyancy... how breathing affects it, controlling it, what good control gets you, etc etc etc...

and make this a major component of every - as in every - lesson. I love rhoody's use of a bottle... it drives the point across very well... if that is further translated to how it affects the body in a real marine environment then even better.

that being said: GO LARRY!!! best hijack i've seen in a loooooooong time!

Jag

nerd!

I let them play with my SMB and a lot of other stuff...

You let all your students do this? :shocked2: Or just the girls???:eyebrow::eyebrow::rofl3::rofl3:

which brings to mind this :D

thanks...this particular part seems very relevant here in the PPD

"Fluid intelligence is the ability to find meaning in confusion... It is the ability to draw inferences and understand the relationships...independent of acquired knowledge"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom