Retention learning - how to be a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd try something a little different...

I'm looking at ways in which to improve student retention of the material taught during classes...particularly in my technical classes. Obviously repetition is known as one of the best way to engrave mental trace better; but when you only have a few days during a class what are the best ways to ensure students walk away with knowledge that they will still be able to use in 2, 3, or even 6 months?

If anyone has any info about the topic in general I'd be interested to hear it; and if you have experiences from your dive classes which you think helped you to retain the material better, then please share.

What do you remember best, and what areas do you know that you have forgotten, but probably should remember more about? Should certain areas of the class be focused on more to improve understanding...which in turn improves retention?

Did you retain things better when it was directed towards your safety, or did you remember it better due to a good joke or some other kind of stimulus that made it memorable?

And finally, how often do you practice your skills or refresh your knowledge in order to ensure you're prepared for when things don't go quite to plan? What incentive do you have to practice and refresh?

Cheers,

Matt.

I learned most of my language skills by sleeping around with women of different nationalities.

Hope that helps.

I learned most of my language skills by sleeping around with women of different nationalities.

Hope that helps.
so what you are saying is that Matt should only teach women?

How we doing so far Matt?

Utterl hijacked in a matter of minutes. I'm so proud *sobs*

Actually, there is something to this....HAMMERHEAD is on to something.
Motivation is always a good teacher. I suppose if we (instructors) provided an additional incentive to our students or associate what we train in such a way that it goes to "long-term" memory.....we would all be better off. Now I have something to think about...
I suppose that my language skills indicate my previous travels as well...wow...

Well, I know I retain longest and best, the things that are practiced in actual diving. In other words, if I have to go through the calculations for turn pressures for 15 dives, the process for doing that will stay with me. If I only run through putting together a deco plan in class and never use it on a dive, it's going to slip away fast. I found myself the other day trying to go over the precise sequence for lost line, because I only did that once in class -- and once didn't pound it in. Repetition and practical use do.

getting laid if we get it right is going to be GREAT motivation. will probably remember the lesson too...

Matt, I find that the very theoritical aspects of dive courses sink in better if you are able to back them with a real world example that clearly illustrates the principle! Or with an analogy that people can use to understand it better!

Good teaching skills are hard to come by. Just the fact that you are trying to improve on this shows that you are a good teacher! Keep up the good work and effort to improve!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom