Restowing backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds as though you guys all unclip your backup lights to use them -- For the most part, I've been able to use mine without unclipping it at all.

JeffG:
Don't worry. At some point you will have the pleasure of finding out that you have clipped "stuff" off to the most bizarre places. Primary regs clipped to backup lights...Deco bottles clipped to SPG's...etc etc
I've managed to clip off my primary to the camera's bolt-snap before, while at the surface talking with students. :rolleyes:

Well... it's kinda hard to signal during a cave dive if you don't unclip it :).

TSandM:
It sounds as though you guys all unclip your backup lights to use them -- For the most part, I've been able to use mine without unclipping it at all.
I'm 50/50. Depends on what I am doing with the light.

Maybe mine's on a big bolt snap or something, but I've been able to signal with it clipped. Somebody told me to use it that way if I could, because you don't risk dropping and losing it (can't remember who that was).

I personally use a piece of bungee because my inner tubes broke eventually and I'm to lazy to unthread the webbing to add more inner tubes. My first attempt with inner tube was with a square knot, but that knot eventually came undone (during my fundies class of all times). My second attempt has been using the bungee with a double fisherman's knot, which has worked out much better since the knot pulls against itself when the bungie is being stretched. (I've attached an image of a double fisherman's knot)

To stow the light I do the following:
  1. Clip off the light to my d-ring
  2. Turn the light off
  3. Run my thumb down the webbing until I find the bungie, at which point I hook the bungee with my thumb and pull it out
  4. With my second hand I place the light under the bungee and push the light down

Attachments

• Double_Fisherman's_knot.png
    Double_Fisherman's_knot.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 51
TSandM:
Any other tips (technique rather than equipment? :D) will be gratefully received.

I have some PT lights and they are well made. While you don't want to hear this, they are too thick. This is contributing to your problem. The innertube corrections should mitigage this, but there is a light thickness issue in the handle area with these lights. It is hard to explain but the thinner handle on the H lights tends to make it easier to either, slide the light up from the bottom (slower and tougher one handed) or, preferrably, "flip" the innertube over the light head.

Also, get used to unclipping the backup so you can signal properly. Clip it off when you need your hands. Yes, you can sort of signal with it clipped but not nearly as well and it isn't really possible if you advance to stages and/ or scooters.

TSandM:
Maybe mine's on a big bolt snap or something, but I've been able to signal with it clipped. Somebody told me to use it that way if I could, because you don't risk dropping and losing it (can't remember who that was).

My gf and I left our PT LEDs clipped on for all our night dives in Bonaire last week. Had no problems either signaling or just using the light to look around. Seemed ideal since there was little chance of losing the light. Had a bit of trouble stowing the lights, so I think I'll take CD's advice and cut the current 1" pieces of innertube in two.

While you don't want to hear this, they are too thick. This is contributing to your problem. The innertube corrections should mitigage this, but there is a light thickness issue in the handle area with these lights. It is hard to explain but the thinner handle on the H lights tends to make it easier to either, slide the light up from the bottom (slower and tougher one handed) or, preferrably, "flip" the innertube over the light head.

I don't mind hearing it. I've been looking at the Halcyon miniscouts with the LED upgrade anyway, because the PT is too LONG for my short harness straps. But the heavy "corrugation" or whatever you'd call it on the handle of the Halcyon lights looks like it would make this problem far worse.

Can you describe "flipping" the inner tube? I'm not getting a mental picture of this.

TSandM:
I've been looking at the Halcyon miniscouts with the LED upgrade anyway
Off topic for this thread, but the Halcyon LED upgrade is the worst LED upgrade on the market and is the most expensive.

Buy a mini-scout and a 3W LED SL4.

Take the bulb out of the SL4 and put it in the scout. (batteries need to be turned the opposite way, and a piece of tape has to be put on the bulb)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom