Respect torque settings, my dudes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am a big proponent of using spec'ed torque settings and have invested lot$ in various torque wrenches. But yesterday, I said to myself "what can possibly go wrong if I torque by feel." Well, I thought there would be a spare MK10 body because I managed to break off part #15 as seen in the picture below. I can't believe how easily I broke that part off. Update: I extracted the broken part very gently.

What's the point of this post? Respect torque, even if you don't think you have to. This was a first one for me. Hopefully, it is not the last one. If you have an MK10 body laying around, please let me know ;-)

1717338782165.png

That part is?
Looks like the turret retainer.
Was it brass or stainless steel?
In older models it was brass, very thin for maximising air flow, and it did break easily.
It is possible to order the stainless steel replacement part from a couple of online suppliers ..

The brass swivel retainer allows only an torque of 35 lb/inch (4Nm), the Inox one 70lb/inch (8Nm).
I guess you broke the old brass swivel retainer.......
As Angelo mentioned, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the screw (10.500.104) somewhere online.
If not, I have many of those Inox screws......

In older models it was brass, very thin for maximising air flow, and it did break easily.
It is possible to order the stainless steel replacement part from a couple of online suppliers ..
That is what I thought it looked like but wanted to OP to tell us and how it renders the body useless.

That is what I thought it looked like but wanted to OP to tell us and how it renders the body useless.
I spoke too soon.

I managed to lodge half of the retainer in the body. Initially, I was afraid of using my usual extraction tools - not a stranger to broken bolts in cars - but then spent some time inspecting the breaking point and managed to get bits and pieces out w/o harming the body.

All good now. Need to find that part and we are back in business.

Brass.

Wasn't there a SB to replace the brass turret screws with stainless steel? Starting to forget things.

Wasn't there a SB to replace the brass turret screws with stainless steel? Starting to forget things.
There you go again, @Nemrod, reading instructions and service bulletins!

(I still use the original brass turret retainer screws on all four of my 1987-era Mk 10's. Didn't know about the SB that you refer to.)

rx7diver

So a torque thread where the part was torqued asunder not through over torque just torque
unless of course it was previously over torqued, or had fallen out of a truck hooked to a tank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom