Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an out of air emergency (during current COVID-19/social distancing) I think its a good idea to use necklace second stage as the primary and donate longhose second stage. I would think one would simply add a quick purge of the long hose reg immediately prior/contemporaneously to donating, just to clear the reg.

How many people actually get trained at OW for no octopus, primary donate and only an Air2 as an AAS?
I was trained on my OW with an Air2 primary donate. That was my original setup, as I think many end up getting the stuff they were trained on and comfortable with. My son, at a later time, in the same location was trained primary donate with an octo. After sometime, I added an octo to my setup because I liked it. I thought my setup was kind of redundant with two alternates but now with some of these COVID rules I feel ok about it.

How many people actually get trained at OW for no octopus, primary donate and only an Air2 as an AAS?
Perhaps we should agree on a definition of training here. I'm using "training" as "what people practice by doing something over and over"(what they train) rather that "what people learned in a class once"

That's meaningless nonsense.

Evolution is not a linear process. It's more of shotgun process with an open choke. There is going to be a wide range of outcomes from which survival of the fit chooses.

What's your evidence for these assertions ?
I was taught this very thing during my IDC and I've seen it often out in OW. When divers get stressed, like a continually leaking mask, they revert back. You'll see them kneeling on the reef transferring some of their stress to me.

Perhaps we should define "training" for the purpose of this discussion to be "what people practice by doing something over and over"(what they train) rather that "what people learned in a class once"
The use of “training” when talking about reverting to training by BSAC is about what was taught on the course. You can’t redefine words to suit.

In any case, how much practicing goes on after initial training for OOA situations? I would contend that the typical Air2 diver is up sold it as part of an expensive BCD, then they don’t have much opportunity to practice the OOA thing between holidays. Coming up to such a diver and asking for air seems a risky game. At least some twinset diver has shown a bit of advancement and hopefully is competent to donate, assuming they did the training.

I was trained on my OW with an Air2 primary donate. That was my original setup, as I think many end up getting the stuff they were trained on and comfortable with. My son, at a later time, in the same location was trained primary donate with an octo. After sometime, I added an octo to my setup because I liked it. I thought my setup was kind of redundant with two alternates but now with some of these COVID rules I feel ok about it.
Was this your choice? How long ago and was it the usual thing for that school?

The use of “training” when talking about reverting to training by BSAC is about what was taught on the course. You can’t redefine words to suit.
I disagree. Using "training" as what is practiced is not redefining words to suit, it's what training is. Practice is what develops skills and I have a very difficult time believing that bsac (or anyone else) would seriously expect ingrained skills from a class once, rather than consistent skills that are practiced with every dive and built through experience.

I disagree. Using "training" as what is practiced is not redefining words to suit, it's what training is.

Practice is what develops skills and I have a very difficult time believing that bsac (or anyone else) would seriously expect ingrained skills from a class once, rather than consistent skills that are practiced with every dive and built through experience.

There isn't an instructor on the planet that wouldn't say to keep skills consistent the skill needs to be practiced regularly.

The big issue is despite instructors constantly stating this, many divers become rusty with basic skill because either

a. they dive infrequently (holiday divers).
b. skills (in particular - rescue) are not practiced.

One of the big advantages of being an instructor, is that you are constantly doing the skills. Unlike a huge percentage of those diving.
I regularly do AAS ascents as donor or casualty. CBL's, etc. But that is a product of teaching and examining.
Our branch has just redone the theory section fo the O2 course (on zoom).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom