Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize if I missed it but has anyone else found a similar new rule at any other dive op/resort?

I'm searching through Dive Friend's website and can't find anything. But, that doesn't mean anything. I couldn't find it on Dive Buddy, also (but was shown that it was there).

@Angelo Farina Its obvious that you are very passionate about safety and diving. And that your concern is genuine. However, it’s also very obvious that you have been well indoctrinated in your organization’s philosophy. But not everyone shares that philosophy and that doesn’t make them or you wrong, just different. I am curious if you have done much diving outside of your group?

It might be that more exposure to other ways of diving could expand your viewpoint and tolerance for divers that don’t subscribe to your philosophy. Your style of diving is obviously right for you but its not for everyone. You have a team approach to diving. I come from a solo mindset. Very different fundamentals and I agree that they don’t always mix well.

And I agree, your boat your rules. That is why it is important in this new covid environment that divers know any new special rules before they arrive. And even more important for new equipment rules so they can either alter their plans or alter their gear before booking.

And I agree, your boat your rules. That is why it is important in this new covid environment that divers know any new special rules before they arrive. And even more important for new equipment rules so they can either alter their plans or alter their gear before booking.
The issue may not be dive operators making new rules, but governments passing new legislation. This could be the catalyst to encourage more than Malta, Israel and Belize to pass legislation controlling recreational diving.

As a medical preventative measure, not so much.

Thanks for your reasoned response Dr. Singler.

In survival training, people are taught to, as a general rule, "drink the water you find". As dehydration in the short term is a bigger problem than having giardia symptoms weeks later.

70% of the people who are dying in my state of Sars-Cov-2 are nursing home residents. They are very elderly and the main comorbidity is overweight with some other chronic issue.

If my regulator fails, and you hand me your primary, I will take my chances with your spit that has been diluted with salt water.

Another solution in search of a problem.

cheers,
markmud

The issue may not be dive operators making new rules, but governments passing new legislation. This could be the catalyst to encourage more than Malta, Israel and Belize to pass legislation controlling recreational diving.

Thank you for the post. I did not know that Belize had instituted new regulations. A bunch of people from scubaboard are going to be p!ssed when they visit and find out they will need a snorkel.

Someone needs to do a study where a mouthpiece is contaminated with a decent dose of viral particle. Then submerge in salt and seawater (diff regulators) for 15 second then culture the mouth piece. I don't know If this has been done before or not.

For now, I am not changing my practice. A responsible diver will rarely if ever run out of air. If someone comes to me, at depth, in desperation looking for air, my primary comes out and I go to my necklaced secondary. The person OOA has decided to take their chances rather than drown.

Also remember that our mouth's are usually full of bacteria. They are not necessarily causing a problem. Interesting that this has now come up.

Also remember that our mouth's are usually full of bacteria. They are not necessarily causing a problem. Interesting that this has now come up.

I thought most of them were anti-bacterial nowadays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom