resort with good house reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moalboal/Cebu : the accoms located between Savedra beach resort and Cabanas beach resort have a great house reef, LOTS of macro, sometimes fish schools and the odd whale sharks once every two years.

as per the thread title, i am looking for a resort with a good house reef i can get some good practice in with my new video rig... ideally looking for somewhere not to deep and a good range of marine life maybe somewhere comparable to mabul or seaventures house reef (minus the depth)...

I think Alona Beach and Apo Island would fit that requirement.

Alona -quite a bit of macro and a number of moray while I was there. There are fish but no schools unless you go out to Balicasag Island.

Apo - really nice at night with quite a few morays swimming by and ribbon eels when I was there last.

panagsama beach, moalboal, i noticed quite a few divers doing exactly as you intend to over the last few days.

I think Easy Diving in Sipalay Negros will fit the requirements. The resort is only a few yards from the beach and there are a couple of reefs 2 to 5min with a Banka from the resort. The depth of these ranges from 20ft at the lowest area to 75ft at the deepest spot, there are a variety of corals and fish, rock formations, canyons, sandy patches and the visibility is normally good.

Panagsama for sure as it's shallow, generally very good viz, there's excellent coral and little current. Towards the south end of the "house reef", out the front of Blue Abyss and Quo Vadis, you can find mandarin fish, frog fish, ghost pipe fish and plent of turtles. A couple of hundred meters further south, at Tongo, in front of resorts like Magic Island, you'll also find excellent coral and a similarly wide variety of marine life. Whale sharks can't be guaranteed, but they're more frequent than once every two years (sorry, Luko, for the contradiction). In the last few years, sightings have increased quite a lot, though I have to say you'd still be lucky to see one.

Alona Beach in Bohol is also pretty good. In fact, I think it's better than Panagsama, but it's a longish swim/short boat ride to get to it.

The resorts at Padre Burgos in Southern Leyte have a good house reef and just around the corner from the resorts, the pier in P. Burgos is an excellent night dive.

Next to Dive and Trek, in Anilao, is Divers Sanctuary. A very basic resort, but the house reef is excellent. It's on the outer-corner of the bay, so has a beautiful shallow reef on one side and a nice wall (dropping 30m to a sandy slope that disappears into very deep water) on the other.

It's also opposite Ligpo island... and you can do a complete circuit of the island from the shore at Diver's sanctuary.

I stayed there twice (about 1 week each time)...and got some great photos.

Ignore the stated rates on their website. Contact them directly and negotiate. Also ignore the 'luxurious' photos and description of the resort.. it's a very basic place.

Great diving though... very convenient..and very cheap if you negotiate the cost. Many of the instructors in Manila choose this place for recreational and tech courses.

Next to Dive and Trek, in Anilao, is Divers Sanctuary. A very basic resort, but the house reef is excellent. It's on the outer-corner of the bay, so has a beautiful shallow reef on one side and a nice wall (dropping 30m to a sandy slope that disappears into very deep water) on the other.

It's also opposite Ligpo island... and you can do a complete circuit of the island from the shore at Diver's sanctuary.

I stayed there twice (about 1 week each time)...and got some great photos.

Ignore the stated rates on their website. Contact them directly and negotiate. Also ignore the 'luxurious' photos and description of the resort.. it's a very basic place.

Great diving though... very convenient..and very cheap if you negotiate the cost. Many of the instructors in Manila choose this place for recreational and tech courses.

thanks for all the replys.

any idea what the weather is like at this time of year? i know you obviously cant predict if it will be blazing sun or raining but what season would may be? i have conflicying info from the web some saying its the start of typhoon season others saying its the middle of summer???...

im not usually bothered about the weather as ill be underwater but if i might have to chance severe weather conditions i would definitely think twice..

so if you have suggested a resort and you have been there at the beginning of may please post how the weather was or if you have any info id really like to hear what you have to say...

at the moment im looking at thresher shark divers and one of the resorts mentioned in this thread in planet dive or dive and trek.

thanks for all the replys.

any idea what the weather is like at this time of year? i know you obviously cant predict if it will be blazing sun or raining but what season would may be? i have conflicying info from the web some saying its the start of typhoon season others saying its the middle of summer???...

im not usually bothered about the weather as ill be underwater but if i might have to chance severe weather conditions i would definitely think twice..

so if you have suggested a resort and you have been there at the beginning of may please post how the weather was or if you have any info id really like to hear what you have to say...

at the moment im looking at thresher shark divers and one of the resorts mentioned in this thread in planet dive or dive and trek.

It is usually hot and dry in May. The Philippine summer is from March thru May - hot and mostly dry - kids are on break from school. I usually go around May because there are decent deals on airfare. Typhoon probability picks up towards the end of May but some years they come early or more into June. Basically typhoons usually throw off a lot of turbulent windy weather and rain in the Visayas (middle islands of the Philippines). If you need to take a small local banka "local wood construction outrigger ferry" to a small island like Malapascua - well they can't handle really rough seas so you need to watch the weather. I dive with TSD on Malapascua and recommend them. Cocobana is a short crawl away from thier shop on the beach with a range of room pricing depending on your beach view or air con requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom