Resort dive cert question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
HI- I wasn't sure where to post this..... where would you recommend my husband and 12 yr old son to go to get resort dive certified near Marriott's Surf club in Aruba? Thanks!

HI- I wasn't sure where to post this..... where would you recommend my husband and 12 yr old son to go to get resort dive certified near Marriott's Surf club in Aruba? Thanks!

Red Sail is the on-site water sports/dive operator right at the Marriott...

Aruba Red Sail Sports for Scuba Diving - Sailing - Watersports Vacation

The quality of instruction for a resort course is in a fairly narrow/predictable range at just about any dive operation. Accordingly, I'd recommend just using Red Sail if only for the convenience factor.

Unique Sports of Aruba will pick you up at the Marriott and return you after your diving. You can also walk to their shop down the beach. Only about a 10 minute walk.

They have very good instructors and are very safety conscious. They will make sure that you have a very good and enjoyable experience.

Ken

Since you are leaving at the end of August why don't you just fully certified? It will be about the same as a resort course, you get better instruction, and you can dive whenever you want. The resort course is only good for a year and the training is usually a little lackluster. Just my 2psi.
I went on vacation last year to Jamaica and was going to take the resort course but did decide to get fully certified before I went, so much more enjoyable.
Also, you want to try to not post the same thread in separate forums.

I would be very careful with Red Sail as I have witnessed so bad experiences with them in the past with resort course students. I would suggest Clive at Dive Aruba as he will do an axcellent job and it will be 1 on 1 with him.

No. I don't recommend that ANYONE get certified on vacation. The vast majority of those folks NEVER dive once they come home, or only dive again once or twice on next year's vacation.

Dive skills are perishable. Only diving once a year ensures that you'll never get good or comfortable (or all that safe).

Find a place local. Learn to dive. Then, enjoy the heck out of your warm tropical dive vacation.

jakeanderic

I don't want to be piling up on you but I agree with many of the above posters.

First though, I have no experience with Red Sail.

Leaning to dive is an adaptive experience and you never know who will find it challenging. Trying to pack this into a vacation can quickly become a frustrating trip.

Also as others have mentioned the conditions are quite ideal and that just can't lead to a well rounded diver. If at all possible get it done locally before the trip.

As a fall back get the academic and pool work done at home. Then on vacation it will be all bubbles while they do their checkout dives on a referral. Once home they will be in good time to do a local water orientation keep right on diving. IMO that is the only predictable way to become a safe & competent diver.

Pete

PS, when you have a second consider adding some meat to your profile, like where home is and your dive experience. You may be all that is needed to ease them into local diving once home.

OP:

1) You also might try posting your question in ABC Islands - ScubaBoard
2) Resort course? Or full certification?

In terms of (2), it depends on what your goals are and how much time you have available. If you think diving will be the center/focus of future regular diving trips (at least annual) or if this is something that might be pursued at home, then you might consider a full cretification. If that is what you decide, I would try and and do as much before the trip as possible (you can do the pool/book work at home and the dives in AUA or you could do it all at home). Otherwise, the resort course can be a nice option...

PS, when you have a second consider adding some meat to your profile, like where home is and your dive experience. You may be all that is needed to ease them into local diving once home.

Given a join date of today and this as their first post, I'm assuming the OP is the non-diving spouse/parent of the non-diving husband/son, and that they found SB while looking for info on resort courses.

If so, and hubby/son haven't ever tried diving before and are just looking to give it a whirl, a resort course is a great low-pressure, try-it-out option. Additionally, vacation in August doesn't give much time to do cert if you're just thinking about doing it on a whim, considering the need to ID and instructor/shop, dedicate to academics, schedule pool work, etc, etc.

Go to Aruba, give it a go, and if they like it, follow-up with full cert at home and look into local diving opportunities as well. Diving isn't just for vacation. I assumed it was for 40 or so years so never tried it. Had I known I could dive at home virtually year round I would have gotten certified a L-O-N-G time ago!

What IS a resort course? Is it a normal course taught at a holiday resort or what? It's a term ive only ever heard used in america and even after several years don't know what they mean by it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom