Resort dive cert question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt my point was that a person who has taken a resort dive class is not certified. A "resort certification" is no more useful than a "discover diving" certification, which is about as useful as the toilet paper roll hanging in my bathroom. In fact the toilet paper is probably more useful 'cause it's softer and will get a better grip where it's needed most.

Depends what you consider useful. It's not meant to be an equivalent to open water. It's just a safe entry point for someone wanting to do some supervised dives. That's what got me started - I still remember the dives I did on my "discover scuba" in Thailand. From the point of view of getting me into diving it was very useful.

Matt my point was that a person who has taken a resort dive class is not certified. A "resort certification" is no more useful than a "discover diving" certification,...

I don't think there is something called a "resort certification." The resort classes are in fact either PADI Discover Scuba, or an equivalent course from another agency. There is no certification implied or intended.

Now, it is fairly common for a resort to recruit discover scuba participants to continue into OW certification classes, and they do get some class credit for the discover scuba. But that's exactly the same as a similar scenario at a dive shop in the U.S.; it's PADI curriculum.

One thing that I like a lot about the classes at the resort where I did my DM is that they are not using the class as a loss leader to sell gear. They also loan students basic gear (mask/fins/snorkel) rather than requiring them to buy. Separating the gear sales and the training would go a long way towards improving dive instruction in general, IMO.

My son and I did a discover diving excursion on a cruise. That was in 2007. We haven't even thought about another cruise since then. It seems every dive shop I've seen has a few ways to get you in the water. We don't know how long you're going to be there? I'd have to say go, check it out, come back and get your full certifications locally. Enjoy!

PADI Discover Scuba = "resort certification" = short class along with a shallow dive(s) closely supervised by an instructor. Frequently used by travelers to experience scuba diving for the first time. A good way to discover whether one likes scuba diving and wants to continue their scuba diving education.

Don't blow their simple question into a drawn out battle on who/where/how/why/when to get certified, just help them decide where to experience scuba diving for the first time. Just maybe they'll turn into long-term dive nuts and end up tech divers, or worse.

What IS a resort course? Is it a normal course taught at a holiday resort or what? It's a term ive only ever heard used in america and even after several years don't know what they mean by it.

A resort course is basicly a glorified name for a discover scuba course. They use the term resort course simply because the course is typicaly taught at high end resorts as a way to get people into scuba diving.

Its a one time use temporary way to dive with a divemaster at a maximum depth of about 30 feet. And there are no limits on how many you can do. You can do 1000 resort scuba dives in your life time if you chose that option (And yes I already know why do that when you can get certified)

I personally did not take a resort course. I believe my course took about 6 weeks to complete and included several long pool sessions and 4 check out dives. Despite this, I barely felt competent enough to be in the water afterwards. It took quite a few dives with excellent tips from guides and DMs before I considered myself to be the least bit "safe" in the water. Maybe I'm a little slow?? but I really wouldn't recommend such a short course. I believe it is dangerous because you just don't know enough to be concerned about the potential hazards of diving. I spoke with a few people in Jamaica recently who were totally turned off of diving after a scary diving experience following a resort course.

Back
Top Bottom