"Resort Course" Worth my time???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yellow

New
Reaction score
I am going to be visiting the Turks and Caicos islands in just a few weeks with a group of about six. None of us have been diving before, but have heard so many great things about TCI's reefs.

Our trip isn't going to allow us time to take the four day certification course that many of the local dive shops are offering, but several of them do have a "resort course," which gives general instructions on the first day and then a 40 foot open water dive the second day.

Is this worth my time and money? Not sure what 40 feet down looks like, so not sure if this is deep enough to really see what the reef has to offer. Any guidance???

Thanks for any info given. :)

I did a discover Scuba Diving in St Thomas. Not much in Instruction but dive was fantastic and got me hooked for life now.

Go for it. It's a great way to see if diving is really something for you. I'm presuming here that the 'general instructions' includes at least a bit of pool skills work like clearing your mask! If you enjoy it then you can research the board for what real instruction should look like and get yourself properly trained! eyebrow There's LOTS to see at 40 ft potentially. Just ask your instructor to show you how to get a reasonable bouyancy as you don't want to end up crashing into stuff or walking over the coral! He or she'll probably appreciate that....the coral certainly will! :D

yellow:
Not sure what 40 feet down looks like, so not sure if this is deep enough to really see what the reef has to offer. Any guidance???

Thanks for any info given. :)

The first 40ft is probably the most interesting. If you go much deeper than that then the light starts to fade and the colours don't show up as well (means you need to take a light).

R..

Yes go for it.
Next time, better to get certified before your trip than spend 4 days of your holiday in a classroom.
Have a fantastic holiday and come home hooked liked the rest of us.
Beware, it is not the equipment that will break the bank, it's the travel to some of the most beautiful places in the world.
But is it worth it, hell yes. :confined:

Take the course, then get certified. :thumbs_up

If you are comfortable in the water snorkeling the course is unlikely to traumatize you. Consider it a discovery experience and have a ball. Once hooked come home and take a full length course in your home waters.

Pete

How about doing a refferal course. Do the pool and classroom sessions before you go, then finish off the open water dives while on holiday ?
As for the depth, 40ft. is plenty deep to see stuff. There's more light here, so more life !

I say go for it. It's a great way to get you in the water to see if you really enjoy SCUBA. I also liked the suggestion of doing a referral course. that's another great way to go. either way i think you're going to get hooked.

Cheers,
JE

I'll echo everyone else.
I did a resort course in Cozumel that hooked me for good. I got back from Cozumel on a Sunday, and was calling dive shops to check out certification courses on Monday. I had two main reasons for even waiting that long:
-I didn't want to spend my vacation studying for an O/W certifiaction
-I though it would be best to get certified at home where I would be doing most of my diving (i.e. cold water vs warm)
It was also a lot cheaper to get certified at home.
Try the resort course, and if you enjoy it (you will), then get certified when you get home somewhere near where you will do most of your diving. A lot of divers get started this way.
The Turks and Caicos have some great diving. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom