Reservation confirmation ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjlong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We are in the process of putting together a reservation confirmation package, stating pickup times, locations and probably most importantly - our cancellation policy. While cancellations aren't a huge issue, they all hurt!

Any feed back on what you use and how well it works would be greatly appreciated :D

Can you be more specific? You are going to send a paper package to individuals or to a group leader?

The only thing I do on paper is my liability waiver form. I gather that in the morning at the dock. Everything else is done online or by email. I have a contract for groups where I take a substantial deposit, but thats it. For single day charters, it is just an emailed reciept for the deposit and I direct them to specific pages on my website for policy information.

Can you be more specific? You are going to send a paper package to individuals or to a group leader?

The only thing I do on paper is my liability waiver form. I gather that in the morning at the dock. Everything else is done online or by email. I have a contract for groups where I take a substantial deposit, but thats it. For single day charters, it is just an emailed reciept for the deposit and I direct them to specific pages on my website for policy information.

Group leaders.
Up until about 2 years ago, we never had problems with cancellations. It's still not a huge deal but it is happening a bit more frequently and we were hoping that a bit more paper work and deposit would make it more "real" for some of these folks and they would feel more vested in getting the trip filled.
There are a few groups that we won't put "on the books" because they always have a reason for not giving a cc# to hold the spot - oh sorry a customer just walked in! type thing. We actually had 1 group that cancelled with a text message at 6:12 the morning of the charter! It was windy at their house (3 hours away!) and they thought it would be too rough to go. A bit frustrating to say the least. He was one that always sidestepped the cc# to hold his spot.

Sorry for the rambling answer. Thanks for your input - trying to get more prospective.

Kurt

Ok, that makes sense. I know most of the operators in my market ask for 100% of the charter fee upfront and that is non-refundable once it is inside 30 days. I am beginning my 4th year, and I was real flexible in the beginning about deposits. Although I only ask for 50% of the charter fee for one day and 100% of one day for multiple days, I am getting a little less flexible and basically demand the deposit before I block the dates. I still let my good customers block dates without a deposit, but they have a track record.

My policy and contract are pretty clear that if I call off the trip then they don't owe me, if they call it off then they owe me the whole charter fee. If they try to cancel or don't show, not only do they not get their deposit back, they get an invoice for the balance of the charter. I don't charge them for fuel in that case :D.

On another note, I am guilty of letting customers "off the hook" when the weather looks iffy to save them travel and lodging. My hope is they will appreciate it and re-book. In the 3 years I have been running, only once have I "forced" my group to get on the boat to go and then called the trip just outside the inlet. I can honestly say that I never made a group suffer through a day that they didn't want to be on the boat. That day I just missed the call. They were right and I had to eat crow.

My policy is very similar to Totuga James. I have the info for groups and individual divers posted on my site if you want to look at it. There is a a link to it from my charter page.

Basically, if you have a track record with me I take the charter and you pay when we go. If I REALLY KNOW you, then you pay in full up front. Most clubs and groups pay the 50% deposit and we agree that they pay the remainder the day of the diving. It has worked out well and is an advantage as most NC ops require 100% up front. I have kept the deposit in the past when they cancelled with short notice and have returned the deposits after a cancel if I was able to book the day.

I dont take CC so the walk on tourist divers are a bit harder to nail down for deposit and a few have no showed at times but I have gotten pretty good at gauging that over the phone interview with them.

The guy that stiffed you for the diving and dodges the desposit would be finding another boat to dive on and he might find that hard to do after I let all the other local captains know the scoop on him.

Thanks for the input!

Our cancellation policies haven't been quite as good as yours. I LIKE yours. We tend to be more loosey goosey with ours. We have found that just getting deposits really makes people more serious about going. If we get the deposit, the charter goes.

In your markets, do you have a bunch of weekend warrior boats?

I like KISS. $100 per day to hold the boat. Prefer checks that I hold until dive day and then can give them back if weather is bad and I don't have to deal with CC charges, refunds, and the fees that go with them.

WHen I was running the Dive Boat/ Fishing Charters/ Kayack Whale Watch I found that if I required a small $100 deposit from Fisherman 99% of the time they showed up.

The Divers would pull a no show if it was raining or they got a hang nail. Divers arnt like they used to be I recall Diving no matter what.

So I require Full Non refundable Deposuits for all Dive trips.

The Kayackers. Same thing. Pay in full Rain or whine.

Capt Walt

WickedGoodOutdoors@maine.rr.com

We require 25% deposit to hold the date for group trips and the balance is due 30 days prior to the dive. If I cancel due to conditions they get 100% refund. We use google checkout for all the CC processing. It allows me to send them a deposit and balance invoice for them to pay with a CC via email. Sometimes groups are easy and pay right away.. some need to be reminded, our policy is if the balance isnt pay 30 days prior to the date they loose the date and the deposit. May seem harsh but if we didnt do it this way some groups will pull "no shows" and last min cancellations or will commit to bringing 6 but show up with 4 and not want to pay for the remaining 2 spots that I turned people away for.

Back
Top Bottom