Rescuing panicked people during accidents...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, the name calling one is coming to mind right now.

RadRob:
Some things I have a hard line on and it bleeds into other areas of my life.
I never heard of such a thing:D
Mike -I have no issues with you and will watch how strong I make my statements. I look forward to civil debates in the future.

Likewise.

if you are close enough to pop someone a good one, you are close enough for them to grab you. If they grab you, the situation has deteriorated, not improved. You could literally be in a fight for you life at that point. They will only go crazy for so long, and will eventually become tired. It is not like a fire; time is on yourside. let them wear themselves out, approach from the rear if possible so that you can push them away if they become re-engergized when you approach them. I really won't take long for their muscles and lungs to become completely exhausted. A few minutes in a fire is an eternity. In the water, just be patient.

I dont know about fire fighting, but inthe water particularly on the surface, waiting it out takes only a few seconds until they exhaust themselves.

OTOH, I have popped a number of people in the gut, including a ten year old kid for breathold ascents during panic. They dont even know you have done it.

I have also had to hold people down until they expire their last breath for the same reason. You just have to be darn sure that you slam a purged reg in their gob before they take the next inhalation.

Generally, panic on the surface doesnt last that long, neither does panic uw for that matter as they will get to the surface pretty quickly.

I have found underwater that pretty much the only way to control panic and make a panicked dive coherent again is to hold their nose, and force them to look down. The moment you see those eyes get big, pinch their nose. It works like a charm.

Neat insight Mark, as usual -- have to remember that idea.

cancun mark:
I have found underwater that pretty much the only way to control panic and make a panicked dive coherent again is to hold their nose, and force them to look down. The moment you see those eyes get big, pinch their nose. It works like a charm.
I hesitate to ask, but curiousity overwhelms me ---- How in the world did you discover this trick? :confused: :confused: :confused:

cancun mark:
The moment you see those eyes get big, pinch their nose. It works like a charm.

I'm at a loss. If I run around grabbing everyone with those bid saucer eyes and holding their nose, I'll go to jail for certain. besides, I only have two hands.

I am in the midst of PADI Rescue and all the reading and instruction tells you to advance cautiously when approaching a panicked diver and to stay a distance away until you have asessed the situation and decided how to approach without putting yourself in grave danger.

That being said, we can all make errors in judgement and my instructor did say that as a last resort if you have put yourself in a position where the panicked diver has a grasp on you and you cannot release yourself by pushing off or dropping under then you may have to push or even punch the panicked diver to get free. The bottom line is you do not want to become a victim as well.

cancun mark:
Generally, panic on the surface doesnt last that long, neither does panic uw for that matter as they will get to the surface pretty quickly.

I hear ya - I've been the victim for a rescue scenario before- I swim out, put my mask on my forehead, and splash and flail around- it's extremely tiring.

On the other hand, the next time I have to rescue someone, I might try poppin' a cap in their ***- just because I saw it on the internet. :D

Charlie99:
I hesitate to ask, but curiousity overwhelms me ---- How in the world did you discover this trick? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Well I tried grabbing them by the ears..:D

Actually, it was just logic, during the moments that lead up to panic, there is usually an airway issue, water in the mask, as the respiratory rate elevates their airway control diminishes and they get more water up their nose worsening the problem leading to full panic.

By breaking this cycle, you allow them to get their breathing under control and calm down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom