Rescued my buddy today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a local diver who gets paired up with lots of insta-buddies. Today I had two of them. One had 38 dives and was a confident man in his late 30's. The other was 40 something guy with under a dozen dives. I am a female in very good shape and older than both of them coming up on my 300th dive.

We were diving a wreck in 60 feet of water, viz about 15 to 20 feet and a current. The most inexperienced buddy did ok, a little overweighted and signaled when he as at 1000 psi. I moved us toward the ascent line but we were still too far away when he signaled that he was at 500 psi. It didn't take him long to suck down that air. Our only choice now was to ascend, which we did and observed our safety stop. All three of us ascended together with me hanging onto his BC. He was forgetting all he had learned and I had to place his hand on my BC.

When we got to the surface I had him inflate his BC but he was sure it was leaking, and when he saw that we were away from the boat, panic started setting in. The boat captain saw us and we gave him the big OK. We were going to have to wait for the other divers to get out of the water before they could come for us. I talked to him calmly about what he needed to do. The other diver helped me by supporting him on the other side. I gave him my octo since he was not breathing at all well through his snorkel. It took a long time to get his breathing under control and to get the deer-in-the-headlights look off his face. He admitted he was scared, so I just kept reviewing with him what he needed to do, slow his breathing, keep his mask on his face and reg in his mouth at all times and to try to relax in the water and stop kicking.

When the boat arrived, he wanted to climb the ladder with his fins on. Everyone convinced him he was ok and he got them off and got onto the boat. When I was out of my gear, he gave me the tightest hug. He told me he thought he was going to drown, and the way he was struggling when he first got to the surface made me think he was going to be right if I wasn't able to calm him down quickly.

So it ended well and it was a huge lesson for him. It reminded me of how we always have to be prepared and able to help a buddy out. All three of us dove the next dive together in 25 feet of water where there were plenty of fish for him to look at. I was glad he got back in the water and was able to enjoy the dive.

You did a wonderful job in a stressful situation. He was very lucky to have you for a buddy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Great job..!!!

We need more divers around like you, Willing to help, Confident, And happy to take a new diver under your wing.

You did an outstanding job,And because of you this diver will likely continue diving!!

Kudos to you!!

Great job!

It's good to remember that divers can find them self in peril even when there is no real problem. Good call in directing the 3rd buddy to help.

Nice to hear he jumped back in.

Pete

On behalf of all of us newbies and to be shared with all you experienced divers who help us out, THANKS!!

talking to him constantly and reminding him of the right way of doing things is what got him back onto the boat and then splashing in for another one

well done!

Great attitude!

I see too many people that are too critical when they see someone making a mistake. You were able to help this guy in a way that didn't embarras him, and then you were happy to dive with him again. We can all learn something from you.

You handled that situation very well! It is an experience that all of you will remember and hopefully gain something from !

Not only will they most likely continue diving after today, but you probably saved their life. Not just today, but in the future too. So many times these issues occur without someone with a level head there to intervene and help, and the diver unfortunatly becomes a statistic. Your buddy learned lessons today that kept them alive for the moment, and more importantly will keep them alive through the rest of their diving career.

Great job!!

Back
Top Bottom