Rescue Diver Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, well, since we all know the greatest people on SB are actually in the South, I figured I would share this experiance with all of you.

Last weekend (Feb 24-25), I spent my time completing my Rescue Certification at Vortex Springs. This was my second trip to Vortex, and my first to actually complete a class. The conditions were bad, to say the least. There were over 150 divers according to reports on here, so the place was packed. Nontheless, we pushed on getting our class done.

To start, I had a few disadvantages going into this class. I live 6 hours away from my instructor, so it is rare when I am able to meet up with her. Over Winter Break she put together a couple of people for me to work with to do all of the confined water portion. We did it fast, but she made sure I knew all the information. However, it was my first class to be done this fast-pased, and I honestly think I lost a little because of it. It had also been two months since I touched the water, so I was a little behind getting back in. However, it all came back as soon as we started working through the skills in the water.

I was also doing this class in my Dive Rite bp/w, and a 7 foot hose. My instructor, who is a great instructor, had not been exposed to this much in her years of diving. I could be wrong, but I think I was the first person she had taught while in it. So alot of the things such as getting gear off I learned myself (I carry a z-knife on it on the shoulder to get me out if I have to, but we tried several techniques to do it without it). The 7 ft hose also took her some time to get used to, and she definately had questions behind the philosophy of using it. So the gear was definately making this a more intense learning experiance for me than most of her students, but I enjoyed it, and now know my gear alot better than I did before I started.

As for the skills, we worked everything, and she made sure we worked it until it was right. I dont know how many times I messed up my rescue breath rythm and had to restart the exercise. We got through everything but the scenarios the first day, which involved a whole lot of time in the water. By the time I got out, I thought my skin was going to fall off (I actually sliced open a finger pretty good at some point, and didnt realize it until I got out). As for the exercises, they were definately intense. I learned alot about how important it is to ditch weights. I use no weight in a pool, but had 12 pounds in a DUI weight harness, and it is very annoying to ditch, so I ended up just setting the weights out for most of the excersises. It made a huge difference in getting rescue breaths without any weight on me, as oposed to the difficulty faced when doing it with them. I definately feel alot more comfortable with everything I can do now then when I had left the pool.

Sunday came the real fun. We were done with simple exercises, it was time to string everything together and do the scenarios. It started with a couple of fairly simple ones, including finding a buddy who got jammed into something underwater. Upon finishing that scenario, we didnt even get to debrief. Our instructor had (conviently) spotted two divers in distress across the spring. I always thought Vortex was small... but when you have to almost completely cross it to do a rescue scenario, it seems alot bigger. We go out and rescue these two; my partner getting the diver on the surface, and me helping one who had gone under. We get them both safely back, and debrief.

Our final scenario involved our instructor getting into the water. Her getting in was a sign to us... this would be 'fun'. She instructed us to go for a quick 10 minute dive, and then come up, where one of her divemasters would tell us what was going on. We do as told, and find out when we surface we have a lost diver. They give us little help, and we go off and search the spring. We find her quickly, in about 3 minutes, and surface her. She is unconsious (of course), so we work as a buddy team to get her out. I ditch my weights, and ditch hers, and start rescue breaths. My partner gets out of his gear, and then starts getting hers off. Masks, weights, and bc's go everywhere, and we eventually get her across the spring and out. We start CPR, and 'pizza' arrives, so the scenario ends. We passed, and are now Rescue Divers!

The course really is great, for anyone who hasnt taken it yet. I breezed through OW and AOW (didnt miss a question on the tests or quizes, never told I was doing something wrong in class, other than leaving a tank standing up). That all went out the window in Rescue. I was doing things wrong several times, and I got called out on them. That was an eye-opener for me, but most definately needed and worthwhile. I really didnt believe others when they said this course would be demanding and extremely rewarding, but now I am a believer. Just simply debriefing after each dive and going over every detail about everything we did really made me realize how much this will change my diving. I am so glad I took the course, and join the bandwagon of people that say you have to take it. It was worth everything I put into it.

Sounds like you had a great instructor to challenge you.

I believe Rescue is the most important course you can take if you're going to dive. I took mine through Billy Hamilton(who also trains the local Rescue Dive Teams for law enforcement and body recovery).

My only suggestion would be to take the opportunity to practice the skills on occassion in a less friendly environment than Vortex. Even on a bad day, Vortex is a fairly controlled environment. We did our class at the mouth of Weeks Bay, where it opens up into Mobile Bay, on an outgoing tide. ~1' visibility, current, and lots of fun task loading. The philosophy behind it is that, if you can do it right in horrid conditions, you can do it right in more optimal conditions; while things usually go wrong in less than optimal conditions in the first place.

Great report.

Congratulations, Matt.

I'm one of those divers who believes that a well-taught Rescue course can be very important for any active diver to take. Things happen all the time, both offshore and in quarries, etc. It can be a very challenging environment.

Hope you keep your skills up to date with frequent practice, and I hope you never need to use them.

Doc

Way to go Matt! Of course, you had a great divemaster in confined water too, who does understand your rig btw.

Heh, the funny thing is, you would think I would learn about the problems associated with hypothermia and the likes throughout this course. Not so fast my friend.... Went today into 45 degree water at Philidelphia Quarry around Knoxville and dove for an hour and some change... wet. Oh well, the vis was great. And I am still warm now, so I guess its a win/win.

nivla80:
Thanks for the post! Definitely gonna make my March seem longer.. Man.. My RD course starts mid April...

To nivla80 and DaveHall... good luck with yours. Where are you two taking it? I really hope your instructor is as great as mine was for it. It was really an challenge with her, and I know I learned a ton.

Doc Intrepid:
Congratulations, Matt.

I'm one of those divers who believes that a well-taught Rescue course can be very important for any active diver to take. Things happen all the time, both offshore and in quarries, etc. It can be a very challenging environment.

Hope you keep your skills up to date with frequent practice, and I hope you never need to use them.

Doc

I really agree with that now. It was great to really work all the skills and make it second nature. Most of the skills are essential, and every diver who actively dives should learn them.

I tend to work on my skills everytime I dive. Ive actually gotten to the point where I think skills are fun. Does this mean I am going crazy?

Congratulations, Matt! I found Rescue to be one of the most fun classes I've taken.

Back
Top Bottom