Rescue diver or nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always like to mention that the "difficulty" of a Rescue course seems to vary a lot according to the instructor. That's what I've noticed reading scubaboard anyway. I didn't find the one I took (age 52 then) particularly demanding physically, but very much so mentally.

I recommend Rescue as the first class after OW if your OW class did not include rescue skills.

Jim brings up a good point. If many of the skills included in rescue diver are so important, why are they not included as part of an OW cert? As a minimum, you would think that the self-rescue techniques would be included in OW or be integrated into AOW somehow.

Then PADI needs to seriously revise their rescue diver instructional video because that is not the impression the video gives you. The video only mentions avoiding incidents in the context of remaining safe while you're trying to help someone else who is in trouble.

I don't doubt what you're saying but, for me, I've always thought of rescue diver in terms of primarily being to help others. And, the PADI video only reaffirmed that belief (perhaps mistakenly so). I realize that the actual course may be vastly different than the video. Hopefully, I'll find out very soon.

For an organization so good at selling things, I am surprised the materials don't emphasize this aspect, because it might help attract prospective students who would otherwise have thought "This course won't benefit me because I'm so unlikely to ever have to rescue anyone." When I signed up for Rescue, I had no idea that part of the outcome of the class might be to help me become a safer, more aware diver. I suspect I'm not alone. PADI could definitely do more to emphasize the aspect of avoiding incidents in the first place and "self-rescue."

Jim brings up a good point. If many of the skills included in rescue diver are so important, why are they not included as part of an OW cert?

The old-timers on SB like to remind us that much of what is now in the Rescue course used to be part of the OW course but was broken out at some point into its own course. The breaking up of curricula into smaller and smaller chunks has been a subject of debate. I suppose there are pros and cons.

The old-timers on SB like to remind us that much of what is now in the Rescue course used to be part of the OW course but was broken out at some point into its own course. The breaking up of curricula into smaller and smaller chunks has been a subject of debate. I suppose there are pros and cons.

Funny you should mention that. Since going back through certification again I've thought back many times about my original certification back in 1979. I felt many times that my original certification was more comprehensive and much more challenging than this time around. I figured that it was just the difference between instructors. But apparently it was because the curriculum did include more stuff back then.

A comment in another thread made me recall something from my Rescue course. With the right instructor, there are all kinds of little nuggets one could take away from the course that don't directly involve rescuing someone else or yourself. For example, I recall our instructor discussing how to talk to a diver who may need a little help before the dive--gearing up or just sorting things out in his head--without sounding too paternalistic. So there was even a bit of psychology taught in the course! That kind of thing may come naturally to some, but not to others. I just can't say enough about what one could potentially take away from a well-taught Rescue course.

I have no doubt that that the discussion here will go a long way toward helping the OP make an informed decision (regardless of what that decision is). And, even though I'm already nitrox certified, it has been a good discussion for me also in that I will likely enroll in the Rescue Diver course much sooner than I would have otherwise.

Jim brings up a good point. If many of the skills included in rescue diver are so important, why are they not included as part of an OW cert? As a minimum, you would think that the self-rescue techniques would be included in OW or be integrated into AOW somehow.
A little off topic, but I agree completely. Though I'm repeating points I've made several times over the years, there is so much in the course that every OW should know. Cramp removal and 2-3 tows are usually simple assists. In the past some have said enough is taught in OW that you are "safe" if you follow your training. Yes, if things go well and everyone does. I don't subscribe to that. What does an OW diver do when faced with a panicked diver on the surface--call for help? Suppose it's just the two of you--and that's OK with most of the agencies, even if may be your very first post OW dive. Anybody know CPR?-- a Rescue prerequisite but not an OW one.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom