Rescue Diver: Day 1,2,3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sepandee,

Isn't the instructor supposed to be watching the students to assess your performance? When two divers are involved in a search during a rescue situation one diver reads the compass, while the other is doing the search pattern. The team effort and correct use of the compass is necessary in order to pass the scenario. How can the instructor sign off on this portion of the training?

I appreciate you sharing as much can be learned from your descriptions. The written test is pretty straight forward. I would practice running the search pattern with another more reliable buddy when you get a chance.

The use of the wreck still sounds very unusual for this type of training as the PADI wreck portion for AOW is not a penetration course.

Good luck,

AZ

I don't know, they might be special ship wrecks. One of them is just under 20ft under the water, and i know every tourist is taken there.

I agree the team work has to be done right, which we screwed up. Two of us were supposed to read the compass, while the other one was supposed to count the kick cycles and look around.

The instructor was around but never with us completely. I guess he might've had too much confidence in us. I mean, both the other guys taking the course with me help out at the dive shop and have 600+ dives, and one of them regularly goes below 100ft for his other day job, and the other often helps the instructor with OW and AOW trainings.

That sounds a bit scary. I gather you are training with good vis. Imagine doing this in 0-2 vis? Are the other two with all those dives instructors or DM certified? I hope no one actually gets lost.

Good luck on the test.

None of them are dive masters or instructors. Don't you have to have your rescue first to be either??

Visibility couldn't be any better. I could see at least 30ft away easily.

From reading the following:

"The instructor was around but never with us completely. I guess he might've had too much confidence in us. I mean, both the other guys taking the course with me help out at the dive shop and have 600+ dives, and one of them regularly goes below 100ft for his other day job, and the other often helps the instructor with OW and AOW trainings."

I thought the instructor was not keeping a close eye on you because those you were with were of proper certification. Re-reading it now, I see they were students as well, so how was the instructor going to assess your performance? When I took my rescue course the vis was between 0-1-meters. I had to give the "victim" my octo as she indicated an out of air situation. The instructor did not see what happened but could see the octo in the "victims' mouth when we surfaced. He mentioned this was critical as he could not see what actually happened. Did the instructor sign you off and put his/her signature in your logbook for these dives?

Back
Top Bottom