Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great. Thanks for the encouragement. Now how do I choose an instructor? I dont want a repeat of my PW and AOW which were mostly just checking boxes.

I don't think a variety of types of dives matters-- the skills are the same. I think everyone should take it as soon as their basic dive skills and equipment familiarity is good (what, 10 dives?).
You seem more than ready. In fact, PADI dropped the full AOW and 20 logged dives requirements years ago.
I read that the course varies a lot with instructor. I found mine not overly demanding physically (at then age 52), but yes mentally.

Great. Thanks for the encouragement. Now how do I choose an instructor? I dont want a repeat of my PW and AOW which were mostly just checking boxes.
It might be worth asking for an instructor recommendation in the Florida forum. You might also consider springing for private lessons and telling your instructor what you're looking for.

I believe rescue should be the first class after open water. Some agencies require OW and 10 dives. That's all that's needed. A good course is as much, if not more, about preventing an accident. Some of the reasons for requiring AOW or 40-50 dives are bullcrap. Missing diver location? Nope. Unless you can find them in 5 minutes you call the pro's in to do that. A properly trained new OW diver however can see if someone is stressed before they get in, has gear dangling, catch a closed cylinder valve, help out someone on the surface, and call 911.
Making people wait is stupid. You don't need underwater navigation to be a recreational rescue diver or a deep dive. A recreational rescue diver would not be doing a deep recovery. Unless they have a death wish.
What a good rescue course does is give the diver a greater situational awareness. That needs to come as soon as possible given the state of some recreational training today.
It's why I do non-cert rescue skills workshops for those who don't want to wait, don't want to do AOW, and just want to be able to help in some way.

I believe rescue should be the first class after open water. Some agencies require OW and 10 dives. That's all that's needed. A good course is as much, if not more, about preventing an accident. Some of the reasons for requiring AOW or 40-50 dives are bullcrap. Missing diver location? Nope. Unless you can find them in 5 minutes you call the pro's in to do that. A properly trained new OW diver however can see if someone is stressed before they get in, has gear dangling, catch a closed cylinder valve, help out someone on the surface, and call 911.
Making people wait is stupid. You don't need underwater navigation to be a recreational rescue diver or a deep dive. A recreational rescue diver would not be doing a deep recovery. Unless they have a death wish.
What a good rescue course does is give the diver a greater situational awareness. That needs to come as soon as possible given the state of some recreational training today.
It's why I do non-cert rescue skills workshops for those who don't want to wait, don't want to do AOW, and just want to be able to help in some way.
Exactly. After I took Rescue I showed my also newbie buddy a couple of things-- for my own benefit. I know it's not advised by the establishment to be teaching anything when you're not an instructor.
Even someone who is not a whiz with basic scuba stuff (but can dive OK) should at least have some of the more important rescue knowledge.
If someone shows me CPR and I'm not CPR certified and I retain that info., it's better than someone taking the course every 2 years just to satisfy an employer's requirement (not just talking scuba of course).

A lot depends on the instructor. My Rescue Course was tough. We had to run up a flight of stairs in full gear a few times before making a timed 200 yard surface swim. My instructor had a theory that most rescues occur near the end of a day when a diver is tired. We had to carry a "victim" out of the surf in full gear as well as a tired diver tow from 200 yards. We had several underwater skills to go through. Our first day was twelve hours long. The second day was short, so we finished off our tanks with a fun dive.

I know two divers who are Rescue Certified and I am positive they couldn't even rescue themselves if necessary. Some instructors do just check the boxes.

A lot depends on the instructor. My Rescue Course was tough. We had to run up a flight of stairs in full gear a few times before making a timed 200 yard surface swim. My instructor had a theory that most rescues occur near the end of a day when a diver is tired. We had to carry a "victim" out of the surf in full gear as well as a tired diver tow from 200 yards. We had several underwater skills to go through. Our first day was twelve hours long. The second day was short, so we finished off our tanks with a fun dive.

I know two divers who are Rescue Certified and I am positive they couldn't even rescue themselves if necessary. Some instructors do just check the boxes.
Good example of people who don't review/practice the stuff. Admit I'm glad I avoided that stairs thing. At 66 I probably wouldn't be as good a rescuer as at 56, but I still have the knowledge.

(Please move if this is the incorrect forum).
I'd like to get input from others as to when it is appropriate to take a Rescue Diver course (PADI or equivelant). Should one have a certain amount or variety of dives? Certain amount of diving? Etc Etc. What should one look for in an instructor or course (aside from rapport)? I realize there is the agency's course requiremenets and then there's what an instructor may actually teach that can go above and beyond that. Does the dive agency matter?
I am PADI AOW, EANI certified with about 60 or so dives, warm water from ~100ft to shallow beach dives. I am interested in this to epand my skill set and for pratical purposes, to be a better dive buddy, especially if my SO decides to start diving. I do have a medical background so am comfortable with the medical aspect (CPR, etc) but recognize that I am still a fairly new diver and don't want to get ahead of myself.

Hi:

I have approximately the same dive profile as you and I am starting the course this month through Nova Southeastern University. Someone on ScubaBoard recommended the NOVA course.

Even as a new diver any time is a good time to take the rescue programme. You never know when you might need it. As an instructor I like to share some experiences from my full time job as a Paramedic/Firefighter. In my opinion I can bring a bit more to the class than an instructor who has never had the chance to rescue anyone. Maybe you can find an instructor with similar experience.

Hi,
Just my $0,02:
When I finished my AOW I had about 16 dives or so under my belt and I was determined to follow Rescue asap. My instructor advised me to take it easy and get some more experience. Not because I sucked at diving (I was pretty OK then), but because he thought I'd be a better rescue diver with more dives.

"When rescuing someone, you'll likely be task loaded and you should be able to handle all normal diving stuff without much thinking. You're not doing anyone a favor trying to help a fellow diver when you subsequently need rescuing yourself". In hindsight to me these were wise words.

I've done over 60 dives now and now I think I'm comfortable enough diving that I'll do Rescue next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom