Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This the best course out there. Once taken, you will look at every dive and every predive a little differently. IMO, Rescue is the minimum level of certification every diver should strive for. That's what I preach to our students and newbie divers.

As you have heard on the other thread, Rescue will likely not improve your own personal diving skills. But you should practice emergency skills in the class, like air-sharing. And Rescue will change the way you think about AVOIDING problems, and recognizing situations that are likely to lead to them. I thought Rescue was the best of the mainstream classes I took.

For development of personal diving skills, you can a) dive with good mentors, b) take "diving lessons" from an instructor who has skills you admire, c) take a recreational class that focuses on those skills, like Fundamentals or UTD Essentials, or d) take a cavern or intro to tech class. You will have to do some significant homework to find an instructor/class in mainstream education that will really polish diving skills.

Rescue diver was the best class i ve taken. It can give you confidence to help yourself and those arond you. Ask around your area to get a good one, there are differences.

2 years after i took rescue diver course,i was first responder in a hardware store...
buying snap bolts mid winter,go figure!!!
i was able to save a gentlemans life,partly due to my efr training and rescue training
to him,my training is worth what you price a life at
well spent money and time
oh,and have fun too!!!!!!
yaeg

I of course, also feel it was very worthwhile. Can't recall ever seeing a post not saying that. I was warned it would be very physical (....at my age...?), but didn't find that to be true. Mentally tough it was. I'm one of those guys way back in H.S. who got great grades by studying and memorizing--NOT thinking. Of course there is some studying and memorizing, and a written test (the manual has as much stuff to learn as the OW manual). But mainly, Rescue course makes you THINK.

Do it. I obviously had to take it as I am in the process of working on my DM. But I'm glad I did. You learn so much that you just don't get from an OW/AOW course. It'll make you a better, more aware, and more prepared diver. It's well worth it, the experience and the things you will learn will be invaluable.

GO FOR IT! :diver:

Brian,
I think I know how you feel about this course, it is a step ahead most other divers certification....without going all the way, which you probably will do someday after this course.

For me..... I felt safe in the water, but what if I am involved with someone else who has trouble. The course makes you think more acutely to what might/could happen and what you can do about it.
Me now, I am planning for the DM course in July in Thailand.
The retrieval and revival practical is very challenging, if I had to do it for real I would be so glad I did the course as I would be better prepared and understand what my best efforts are.
Cool

I have been thinking about taking the rescue couse too. A few weeks ago I was diving off of Phi Phi with one of the divers doing his rescue. He had to drag a 200lb diver up the boat ladder without any help from the rest of the people on board. This guy looked to be 180lbs maybe 30 years old and in good physcal shape. It took everything he had to get that guy up the ladder. After that I thought wow, I couldn't do that. Im 58, 150lbs and in reasonable shape. Maybe they don't want older farts like me getting their rescue?

After that I thought wow, I couldn't do that. Im 58, 150lbs and in reasonable shape. Maybe they don't want older farts like me getting their rescue?

Part of the course is knowing/finding out what you're capable of. There are different ways to get a diver out of the water, depending on conditions and your physical abilities. Sometimes knowing when to ask for help is a skill in itself.

Its the best mainstream course that I've had. Its not just about rescueing. Its also about avoiding dramatic rescues by catching and correcting the problem early. Even the actual rescue skills were very interesting to understand and do. I'm 55 and not in the best of shape, and using a technique taught, I was able to carry a guy out of the water and onto the beach. Part of the course was also an emphasis of how to keep yourself safe when the s--t hits the fan. And also understanding how you will react under stress. I took SDI, but I hear that they are all fairly similar.

Really a great course that's alot of work but worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom