Rescue Diver Certificate Verification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think any PADI instructor, except perhaps your original instructor, would certify you as a Rescue Diver without you completing the course again. Also, you have not been diving in seven years. You really need to do some diving first and then see if you are ready for Rescue and then DM.

Yeah i fully intend to do a load more dives before the master, im going to the carribean for 3 months and should be diving almost everyday, but i also dont want to have to do a course when ive already completed it. Was hoping my instructor would take me back through what we covered in the rescue. Appreciate your point though and will not be doing anything im not ready for.

If the instructor who did the Rescue class with you is willing to send in the certification, that is your only chance. No other instructor will do it, and the agency won't do it either. Frankly, I think you ought to take the class again. You need those skills to be current and solid for your DM course, not ancient history. Right now it is unlikely you could pass the DM rescue evaluation without extensive remediation.

Robin

For an instructor to sign it they need to be an instructor of record. However, some times the dives can be handled by another instructor. Like with a referral. In my case I was working with a second instructor for my Advanced at the same time back at my LDS with the same agency. I might need to take the written again. We have not talked about the details again.

As for retaking a course, it is more diving and you can sometimes learn more stuff the second time around. For my AOW I diid the usual collection of 5 dives one from each specialty (deep, search, nav, drift, dpv, dry). Later I went back and did each specialty with two more dives and did not count the first dives which you can. What's the rush? {Particularly with DPV, dry, search I learned a bunch more. (DPV we had several models including some big cave machines and got to work with them all.) By the time I did deep I had a couple hundred dives with a number around 100 fsw so not so much learned for that one but wanted it for DM and they were fun off shore dives anyway.

I don't think any PADI instructor, except perhaps your original instructor, would certify you as a Rescue Diver without you completing the course again. Also, you have not been diving in seven years. You really need to do some diving first and then see if you are ready for Rescue and then DM.

Yeah thats understood, the point is though if my course had been certified properly immediately after as it should have been, i would have the rescue licence and could progress my learning. I will be doing all thats needed to make sure im ready. Whether they certified it now or then is irrelevent my dive experience would be same and would be upto me and my future instructors to ensure i progress at a safe level.

Robin

For an instructor to sign it they need to be an instructor of record. However, some times the dives can be handled by another instructor. Like with a referral. In my case I was working with a second instructor for my Advanced at the same time back at my LDS with the same agency. I might need to take the written again. We have not talked about the details again.

As for retaking a course, it is more diving and you can sometimes learn more stuff the second time around. For my AOW I diid the usual collection of 5 dives one from each specialty (deep, search, nav, drift, dpv, dry). Later I went back and did each specialty with two more dives and did not count the first dives which you can. What's the rush? {Particularly with DPV, dry, search I learned a bunch more. (DPV we had several models including some big cave machines and got to work with them all.) By the time I did deep I had a couple hundred dives with a number around 100 fsw so not so much learned for that one but wanted it for DM and they were fun off shore dives anyway.

If im honest it just comes down to money, i manage aquariums and the DM is needed to progress in my career. I only have a limited time to do it and am planning on diving quite intensely over the next few months, ive got to get another load more dives in anyway before i can start the DM training. I just would like to have my certificate as i rightly should have, i fully agree that if i went back and did the course it would be better but its more money and time, just think i should have what im entitled too as anyone else would after passing their rescue course and be given the chance to either refresh and relearn without the financial pressure of having to pay for another course. Thanks fo your insights though

Filing the paperwork, etc. takes some money. However, the bulk of the money is split agency, instructor, LDS if there is one. Some of the cost is fixed. Others is not. Agency always gets its cut. The second two have options, if they want, and many donot, but sometimes they do in return for work around the shop, etc. Note that cost of the same course can vary a lot from one instructor to another.

Filing the paperwork, etc. takes some money. However, the bulk of the money is split agency, instructor, LDS if there is one. Some of the cost is fixed. Others is not. Agency always gets its cut. The second two have options, if they want, and many donot, but sometimes they do in return for work around the shop, etc. Note that cost of the same course can vary a lot from one instructor to another.

Yeah thats very true and am fully expecting to have pay for the essential paper work stuff. The agency have been in touch now and are looking for my student records and said they will try and contact my instructor to verify it. Said unknown is whether she has instructor status as im not sure she could do it if not.

You have a log of 0 to 24 dives and have not been in the water for 7 years...you want to go for divemaster..I suggest taking a refresher, get some dives in , redo rescue. You need to get your EFR redone, or a first aid CPR course, as well, as it expired years ago.
Have you made the commitment to diving by owning a full set of gear.?
Divemaster is a serious endeavor and should not be taken lightly.
I hold my DM students to a much higher level than any other course.

This brings to mind a recent experience we had at the facility last week.
I recently had 2 brothers come into the facility and sign up for DM..neither have been diving recently, do not have number of dives to even start program, one has rescue but no advance certification ( done by some dumbass instructor at one of these summer camps people send their kids to) other only has advance. They cannot even put a set of gear together properly between the two of them during a pool evaluation we had them do. Forget about the skill demo's I had them do.
They claim to have 50 dives but no log book to verify number or type of dives. Neither owns ANY gear at all. NONE! No mask,fins, NOTHING!
Reason for limited experience and no gear ownership is not about money as they are very affluent, both go to a very private school here in Westchester NY that has an annual tuition of $40,000 + each!
Why they want this certification is beyond my thinking. To top it off they want this on a private basis on their schedule that can vary constantly. So what to do? My gut feeling is not to accept them at all as this is sure to be a real mess or simply do what the facility owner says to do and charge a private fee for EFR, rescue and divemaster, and require them to own full set of gear OR be prepared to pay for rentals for every pool session and ow session.
If we do not accept them they will only go elsewhere locally and spend the money there.
Really do not want or need to deal with these type of students who probably have had everything done for them.

OP fits the skills description above but she has a definite reason. Career path is managing aquariums. Most of those I am familiar with require DM to monitor divers and advanced training to do the diving related work. So her need is very specific and does not include students or guiding divers (I assume this does not include some sort of summer program). She does need the skills, and knowledge, and accident training of course.

OP fits the skills description above but she has a definite reason. Career path is managing aquariums. Most of those I am familiar with require DM to monitor divers and advanced training to do the diving related work. So her need is very specific and does not include students or guiding divers (I assume this does not include some sort of summer program). She does need the skills, and knowledge, and accident training of course.
She may not be assisting divers in training in her position, but supervision is required .
Needs to meet all requirements of dm course.

Back
Top Bottom