Rescue Course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avfcmichael

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So for the majortiy of the Rescue Courses, you require OW/AOW...

How many dives would you recommend having completed before you take the rescue course?

Also - what fundamental skills would you recommend you have nailed before booking on?

To my knowledge, you don't have to have an AOW to complete a Rescue course. Many people take it right after OW actually. As far as number of dives, I'd recommend probably at least 10-15 just so you can make sure you're comfortable in the water. It's meant to challenge you and to teach you to stop and rationalize things in the event of a situation rather than panic. Rescue isn't so much about learning how to rescue other divers as much as it it about situational awareness and self-rescue. It focuses on teaching you how to recognize distress in other divers during all phases of a dive (before, during, after) and how to handle and/or prevent situations that could arise as a result. Of course you'll be rescuing panicked/unconscious divers, too, but that's only a small part of the course.

Skills to make sure you're proficient in:
-Buoyancy (doesn't have to be perfect but should at least be able to stay somewhat neutral within reason)
-Mask Skills (including being able to dive w/o one)
-Air Sharing
-Most importantly ***Be able to maintain your composure in any situation***

Can't stress that last one enough. Regardless of what happens before, during, or after a dive, be sure to remain calm and collected and don't panic. The rest will come easy.

To my knowledge, you don't have to have an AOW to complete a Rescue course. Many people take it right after OW actually. As far as number of dives, I'd recommend probably at least 10-15 just so you can make sure you're comfortable in the water. It's meant to challenge you and to teach you to stop and rationalize things in the event of a situation rather than panic. Rescue isn't so much about learning how to rescue other divers as much as it it about situational awareness and self-rescue. It focuses on teaching you how to recognize distress in other divers during all phases of a dive (before, during, after) and how to handle and/or prevent situations that could arise as a result. Of course you'll be rescuing panicked/unconscious divers, too, but that's only a small part of the course.

Skills to make sure you're proficient in:
-Buoyancy (doesn't have to be perfect but should at least be able to stay somewhat neutral within reason)
-Mask Skills (including being able to dive w/o one)
-Air Sharing
-Most importantly ***Be able to maintain your composure in any situation***

Can't stress that last one enough. Regardless of what happens before, during, or after a dive, be sure to remain calm and collected and don't panic. The rest will come easy.

All goods points. However prerequisite is Adventure Diver (AOW lite) and must include Nav.

I think SDI requires 40 dives for Rescue if you don’t have Advanced. Or at least it did two years ago when I took it (and looked at standards).

Someone posted recently to take Rescue when you’re comfortable in the water and don’t flail about on the surface.

SDI Requirements:
  • Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
  • Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen (O2) provider (where local law permits) certification*
  • Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, or equivalent, or open water diver certification and 40 logged open water dives
NAUI Requirements:
-15 years old
-Scuba Diver
-First Aid & CPR

PADI Requirements:
-12 years old
-Certified to beyond entry level w/ proof of NAV

NASE Requirements:
  • Be at least 12 years old.
  • Be certified the NASE Advanced Open Water Diver level (or equivalent).
  • Hold current First Aid, CPR and Oxygen Provider certifications.

These what I could find doing a quick Google search. There may be something I've left out so feel free to correct me at any point.

All goods points. However prerequisite is Adventure Diver (AOW lite) and must include Nav.
true for certification - however "PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water" meaning you could enroll a new OW diver in rescue...

Good Buoyancy. Reasonably comfortable with basics of diving and equipment. Then take it as soon as possible. I took mine after dive # 26. Did very well on some things, struggled with others. But, I gained the knowledge, new what I was SUPPOSED to do should an emergency occur the next day. I read through the manual (lot's of info., similar to the OW manual, as opposed to a skinny one like Deep Diver, etc.). I was able to tell my then OW buddy what to do should I have a problem, like losing consciousness.
You can always review the manual and practice what you had trouble with after completing the course. I've read that decades ago many of the rescue skills (besides tows and OOA) were included in the lengthy OW courses. I think this validates the idea of taking Rescue as soon as practical. Two new OW divers buddying up don't have these skills, and maybe don't even have CPR. That to me is scary.

When I took mine, most of the other students scared the crap out of me when I was the "unresponsive" diver being brought up from the bottom. All of said students had only done dives in OW and AOW prior to taking rescue, so <10 dives. My only suggestion is learn to do a controlled slow ascent from your safety stop, then go for it.

My PADI shop wanted me to be AOW.
I recommend to take the course as soon as possible. The skills that will learn will make you a better diver, without working on your diving skills. There is not lot of diving in the PADI rescue course. A lot of surface work.

In brief, overall comfort in the water, good buoyancy skills, and reasonable comfort and proficiency with navigation skills.

Back
Top Bottom