Rescue course specifics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I did just finish reading the PADI Rescue book and much of it is focused on how to recognize and prevent accident scenarios before there is a need for a real rescue.

I'll let you know how the class goes.

Rachel

cornfed once bubbled...
Everyone seems to be in agreement that rescue is a good course to take but they never say way. Many people said it is a confidence builder and the skills are worth knowing. I friend is planning on taking the class this summer and asked if I want to take it with him. Unfortunately, I can't get a straight answer from anyone what I'll get out of the course.

How specifically does it build confidence?

What specific skills are covered?

Is there a difference between are there any differences between the PADI, SSI and NAUI courses?

Are their things which aren’t required buy some instructors include?

How does NAUI’s “Advance Rescue” class fit into the picture?

Are their things with aren't include that should be?

Thanks,
Cornfed

NAUI splits their class into two parts. I have a PADI rescue card, as well as NAUI.

The NAUI class, both parts, was better.

I think that Rescue Class is most important because it's the first time you actually start paying specific attention to the diving of others. Once you do this, your diving will improve as well and quickly.

Advanced Open Water class -can- be worthwhile to certain people, but it's optional (although it may be required for Rescue). AOW doesn't teach "Advanced" diving, it's an "advanced" version of OW class. You learn how to plan and execute a variety of different dives, and the thing you really learn is how to make considerations for different diving environments.

And let me assure you, more people need this training than they think.

Rescue class teaches you -self rescue-, and how to -avoid- rescue, as much as anything else. Then they go through the basic mechanics of several different types of rescue.

I employed instruction from my rescue class at Gilboa earlier this month.

It builds confidence by giving you tools and knowlege to deal with, and avoid potentially dangerous situations.

Skills covered are dealing with injured divers in the water, getting them to shore, CPR, my last class did defib, although I don't know if that was part of the curriculum.

The Advanced Rescue seemed to go more into medical terminology and specifics.

I would highly recommend Rescue to any level diver, just as food for thought more than anything else.

I don't think it matters how many dives you have or how much skill, just as long as you have a basic proficiency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom