Rescue class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i added about 12lbs compared to my freshwater weighting.

Mind if I ask what kind of rig you dive, what kind of exposure suit, and your weight? Just curious ...

bp/w, 3mm full suit, 6'3" 195... my freshwater setup was with a steel 72 and i required no weight. 1st ocean dive, I used a lp95 with no additional weight and got pretty light under 1000psi. i added 4lbs to the lower cam band for my next dive. was much much better. when i say i got light, i was ascending without my intention, my my dump valve just didnt seem to be acting properly and my buddy had to grab me and drag me back down. while i wasnt quite in a runaway ascent yet, i only rose a few feet before my buddy acted, it was still unintended. i was about to turn feet up and forcefully swim back down when i felt a hand grab mine.

Get a little more water time in some diverse enviroments. That being said, Rescue is one of the most fun classes out there.

Just a follow up, Did my confined water and skill set. Did fine up to the last skill. I drown my poor dive buddy 3 times. His arm kept getting caught in with his oct. Fixed that that buy switch support hands and pushing the bc to the right. Very difficult in deeper water. Just remember take your time and be safe while doing it.
I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. if i get my cert or not. Dive bought leaves out at 9 am.

Well it's over. I have become a certified rescue diver. Kinda bummed the other guy in the class didn't show up so it was my self the instructor and the instructor candidate for the pool and check out dive. Had a great class though. Full dive boat for the check out dive. A girl that hadn't dove since getting certified a year and a half ago, and a 12 year old boy and his dad. luckily those 3 were not fair game for scenarios. but the other 8 people were. And boy did they put me through the ropes. A very difficult class but also very rewarding to have the knowledge and skill set to help someone when the time comes.

Sounds great Thayde! I'm due to go after my Rescue Cert this Summer, but since all of my diving has been in the ocean I now have to work on my buoyancy in fresh water first... and with all new gear at that.

I've enjoy reading your posts. It gave me a bit of insight into what I'll be going through. From what I gather from everyone, the Rescue course is VERY rewarding in terms of the knowledge you guys are walking away with.

Last edited:
Ganu, The class is awesome. The mic gave the best tip to it all. Don't get in a hurry to remove the gear. My instructor taught me a new little song to help remember what to remove right away for the unresponsive diver at the surface. "weight belt weight belt, mask mask look listen feel". as far as my check out dive. the instructor let me know as soon as we stepped on the boat i was far game for scenarios. As people set up their gear just kinda walk around a take a peak at all the releases and gear lay out for the divers. It's easier to catch a problem before it happens. IE dive master set up his tank backwards and his first stage upside down and it all set up. very confused just look closely. also if a dive knife isn't part of your rig make it one. Entangled diver scenario could have really used a knife to cut him free. took about 10 minutes to untie him for the fishing line. :( didn't think to take his knife. Now a dive knife is part of my gear. If you have any other questions just ask and i'll go in more depth about what as we did.

---------- Post Merged at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:52 PM ----------

sorry my comment wasn't about themic it was in regaurds to vicksburg diver

Entangled diver scenario could have really used a knife to cut him free. took about 10 minutes to untie him for the fishing line. :( didn't think to take his knife. Now a dive knife is part of my gear.

So now I have TWO purchases to make before my Rescue Class: 1) DAN insurance; 2) dive knife

Dan insurance is a great purchase I also joined the padi society. Got 15% off my dive rig with their coupons they send out. And a year subscription of dive magazine.

Thayde, You class sounded thorough, especially doing the scenarios on a boat. Question- Was there a real fishing line entanglement? If so, I'm surprised, as I have not heard of creating real life situations during the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom