Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, I did my Rescue cert. A few observations:

1) Every diver should do it. For themselves and their skills, and for their fellow divers.

2) Biggest lesson I learned in a dramatic way: in confined water sessions, I tended to get too close to the panicked diver. I kept telling the instructor how uncomfortable I was watching someone go under repeatedly while taking the time to assess the situation and try to talk him into airing up and putting in his reg. First ocean panicked rescue, I got too close in heavy seas, lost reg and mask, kicked in the belly, punched in the nose, got a nice lungful and sinus full of salt water. LESSON LEARNED!!

BTW-on the last scenario, the instructor told my "actor" to panic if I did anything wrong, or if he felt like it. I told him I had been saving people the last 8 hours in 4-6' chop and he could panic if he wanted, but if he did, I was clocking him with a float! Then I would take care of his nicely unconciousness self. See how fast the milk of human kindness evaporates?!

Ken

You have a great point about how widespread rescue training is doing a service to themselves & to other divers. You had a great practice scenario to start with!

The follow-up is important, too; keeping CPR current, being aware of emergency resources in every location, & practicing rescue periodically after the class ends.

sounds like you had fun. Congrats and keep on learning, that's what it is all about. Dive often and dive deep.... but always dive safe.

Rich :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom