Reputable Dive Operator Near Oakland???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kvitense

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from the Midwest but will be in the Oakland, CA area all of next week (9-28 through 10-2). I would like to possibly dive somewhere while I'm in the area. Any suggestions on a dive operator to use that is reputable? Suggested areas to dive? Wet or Dry suit diving are both viable options for me.

You're pretty much looking to dive Monterey. All the dive boats there are reputable. Also, there's good shore diving to be had, either by finding a buddy on SB or hiring a local guide. (e.g., Rob at Rob's Scuba.)

The S.F. Bay is too shallow and no vis. The local coast is too "sharky" and rough. So, divers go either south to Monterey, where there's a lot of diver infrastructure, or the north coast (Sonoma & Mendocino coasts), where there's virtually no diver infrastructure.

Hence, my recommendation to try Monterey.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Fisheater. I have no diving experience off the coast of CA, so if Monterey has the infrastructure, that's what I'll focus on. I would be mid-week diving (Tuesday/Wednesday), so any other advice on who to use would be greatly appreciated!

You also want to take into consideration dropping off equipment if you are renting. What are you bringing with you, regs, bp/w, computer? I assume you have that and will be wanting to rent steel tanks and possible drysuit or wetsuit.

Do you want to drag that stuff back to Oakland after the dive or do you want to pick it up and drop it off there in Monterey?

If you want to drop off stuff in the Oakland area I would recommend, Scuba Diving Training, Classes, Certification, Equipment Sales, Services, Rentals | San Francisco and East Bay Areas and trips

or

Any Water Sports - The Bay Area's Premier Dive Center

If you decide to rent while at Monterey I would recommend:

Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop

Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals

Scuba Diving lessons, classes, courses - San Francisco, Sonoma Coast, Marin, Monterey, Northern California Bay Area | Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers

I have no diving experience off the coast of CA, so if Monterey has the infrastructure, that's what I'll focus on. I would be mid-week diving (Tuesday/Wednesday), so any other advice on who to use would be greatly appreciated!

If you are interested in boat diving, the Beachhopper2 goes out on Wednesdays, you can check the availability here: http://www.beachhopper2.com/

There are also weekday divers on this board who go shore diving.

I highly recommend a dive guide since you mentioned that you have no experience diving off the coast of CA. (Kelp diving and unexpected low visibility needs a little getting used to)

You also want to take into consideration dropping off equipment if you are renting. What are you bringing with you, regs, bp/w, computer? I assume you have that and will be wanting to rent steel tanks and possible drysuit or wetsuit.

I will be bringing ALL of my gear (except tanks and maybe weights) and I plan on drysuit diving (will bring a wetsuit as a backup).

I highly recommend a dive guide since you mentioned that you have no experience diving off the coast of CA. (Kelp diving and unexpected low visibility needs a little getting used to)

I am used to pretty crummy visibility/cold water diving here in the Midwest, but will hire a guide due to my unfamiliarity with the area. I called Jim Fields with Monterey Bay Dive Charters and he seems like a guy that knows his stuff. 2-tank guided shore dives for $80. Any feedback on his operation from anybody? I'm shooting blind here as I have NO connections in the area. I just want a safe reputable guide that will let me dive my computer without micro-managing the actual dives as well. Thanks all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom