REPORT RELEASED for double SCUBA fatality in California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
The California Department of Water Rescources has released their official report of the accident that claimed the lives of two department divers in February. A copy of the report can be viewed at:

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/links/121407divers.pdf

While the report may not be tremendously beneficial to recreational divers, there may be some benefit to forum members who conduct scientific, public safety, commercial or military dive operations.

I pass it along as FYI.

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
Dive Rescue International - Water Rescue Training & Equipment

The reminds me of the previous commercial dive death where the diver had rec. gear on. For the lack of a standard dress or SSA...

The reminds me of the previous commercial dive death where the diver had rec. gear on. For the lack of a standard dress or SSA...

You know, DA Aquamaster is going to jump all over you for that statement.

I know scuba works for some commercial diving, but damn high volume intakes scare me... At least some kind of harness system to keep them on track, or some kind of signal, communication line. These are often as valuable or more than the unlimited air supply of SSA. I dont blame these guys at all, I bet it was hard to notice the problem until they were sucked in. Would it not have been possible to shut down the whole system? I would have wanted that.

Amazing lack of contingency planning ... especially with respect to having a protocol in place to shut down the running pump if necessary. By the time they finally found someone who could authorize that process, they had to know they were dealing with a body recovery.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was a very unfortunate incident that probably could have been avoided.

Still there are a few agentcies out there that use the same form of diving and less than adiquate safety system. There was another accident up in Washington a few years ago like this where two PSD divers died in a siphion while going in for a "presumed" rescue. No one knows what happend, but there were four fewer divers in the world that day.

Good post and good training material.

Shutting down the pumps would seem to be the number 1 fix in this case, followed by a harness system that would prevent excursions from the safe work area and keep you from getting pinned. But either of these or just having surface communication would have helped. "Hey, you know you're moving past number 3, right?"

Tragic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom