Replacing DUI rockboots with Converse All Stars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, I was majorly bummed to find out that I had left my rockboots in Tahoe at a PSD training. I am going to Monterey this weekend and needed boots for my drysuit. I called around and nobody in my area seems to have them in stock. So, I broke down and bought a pair of all black Converse All Stars. They seem to fit a whole lot better than my rock boots did. So my question is how many other people out there wear them?

renpirate:
So, I was majorly bummed to find out that I had left my rockboots in Tahoe at a PSD training. I am going to Monterey this weekend and needed boots for my drysuit. I called around and nobody in my area seems to have them in stock. So, I broke down and bought a pair of all black Converse All Stars. They seem to fit a whole lot better than my rock boots did. So my question is how many other people out there wear them?

I've been hearing about this, and I'm curious. How many sizes bigger did you have to buy the shoes, over your regular shoe size? And, do the fin straps travel up and off the shoes easily, or do they stay put?

And why Converse vs any other high-top?

I just got a drysuit, and my Whites boots do not go all the way in my fins, giving me a "wobbly" feeling when finning.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I've been hearing about this, and I'm curious. How many sizes bigger did you have to buy the shoes, over your regular shoe size? And, do the fin straps travel up and off the shoes easily, or do they stay put?

And why Converse vs any other high-top?

I just got a drysuit, and my Whites boots do not go all the way in my fins, giving me a "wobbly" feeling when finning.

- ChillyWaters

I wear a size 10 rockboot, I got the size 11 Converse. As for choice of high tops, it was more or less the first ones I saw. I had heard of people using them before. I haven't dove with them yet, but when I put my fin on it seemed to fit just fine. I use spring straps on my turtles, so I didn't notice them being any looser. I'll see when I get to the ocean.

That is too funny. I'd love to see the a pair of Chucks big enough to fit over my dry suit feet! They don't make Allstars big enough for me to wear on the street. What is really funny is that you can buy a pair of size 4 and Chucks will look huge, so imagine size 16! What would I need for my drysuit, 20?

I've known a few guys that where the Chuck Taylor's with thier suits. They last a long time. I have a dive buddy that wears an all black suit with bright yellow Chucks. Pretty cool get up.

David P:
That is too funny. I'd love to see the a pair of Chucks big enough to fit over my dry suit feet! They don't make Allstars big enough for me to wear on the street. What is really funny is that you can buy a pair of size 4 and Chucks will look huge, so imagine size 16! What would I need for my drysuit, 20?

I have a pair of size 17 chuck taylors that have been sitting in my closet since high school, i wonder if its time to dust them off. I knew there was a reason i was saving them!:D

How about a set of jungle boots in a pair of USD Rockets?

I saw a guy wearing some awhile back. He wore red to go with the accents on his suit. He was very styling.
He said the only draw back is they are fairly slippery on aluminum ladders coming out of the water.

first post, long time lurker,

Jibby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom