Replacing dry suit seals - where do I measure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to buy some new latex seals for my DUI Norseman. All the websites I've found show seals as S-M-L-XL, but I'm not sure if that's the circumference of the seal at the suit or the circumference of the seal on my wrist?

For the conical seals, I'm guessing it's the size where the seal is glued to the suit, because you trim the seal to your wrist size, so any seal should fit any wrist, after trimming.

But for a bottleneck seal, I'd guess it's the size of where the latex meets the wrist, because the seals don't seem to be trimable, at least not from the photos. But in that case, every single drysuit that seals fits on would have to have the exact same wrist circumference, which I find a little hard to believe.

But I haven't found a website that was specific.

I've tried posting the question on several scuba store/websites, but my seal tore on Friday July 3rd, and July 4th is a Saturday and most stores are closed, so I don't expect any responses there until Monday. I was just hoping someone here can shed some light on the question for me.

TIA.....

The measurements are at the wrist side. There is sufficent stretch that the seal fits all of the ds arm sides. The bottle seals are trim able are are the ones I prefer as they seem to give me more contact with the skin. The big thing to watch is don't buy to large. The seals will stretch but they don't shrink so if you are on the edge of a size buy the smaller size.

I need to buy some new latex seals for my DUI Norseman. All the websites I've found show seals as S-M-L-XL, but I'm not sure if that's the circumference of the seal at the suit or the circumference of the seal on my wrist?

For the conical seals, I'm guessing it's the size where the seal is glued to the suit, because you trim the seal to your wrist size, so any seal should fit any wrist, after trimming.

But for a bottleneck seal, I'd guess it's the size of where the latex meets the wrist, because the seals don't seem to be trimable, at least not from the photos. But in that case, every single drysuit that seals fits on would have to have the exact same wrist circumference, which I find a little hard to believe.

But I haven't found a website that was specific.

I've tried posting the question on several scuba store/websites, but my seal tore on Friday July 3rd, and July 4th is a Saturday and most stores are closed, so I don't expect any responses there until Monday. I was just hoping someone here can shed some light on the question for me.

TIA.....

Thanks Herb.

It seems that most of the seals I'm seeing on-line have a circumference of 11" where the latex meets the suit. My DUI has a circumference of 13-1/4 inch at the end of the arm where the seal is attached.

So, stretching the seal to the suit would mean that the latex is constantly under tension, which to me would suggest the probability of early failure. Any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom