Replacing an Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm looking to replace an Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra. I've had it for years. Last time I had the battery replaced it cost a hundred bucks (US Dollars) and took a month. I swore I'd never do it again.

I need something with a nice big display. I'm old, presbyopic and slightly clumsy.

I was looking at the Suunto Vyper. The price is about right. It seems to have a nice display. People seem to think it's easy to use.

I'd love the luxury of one of the Liquivision computers, but they are a bit more than I want to spend.

Any other suggestions?

How many more battery changes for the Pro Ultra can you buy for the price of the Vyper? I've got THREE brick-type Uwatec computers (one of which is a Pro Ultra as well), and this single question is what keeps me sending them to Hong Kong for battery changes.

I had a Sport Ultra that died and switched to a Suunto Gekko as I needed something quick b4 a trip a couple years ago.

I find the Gekko even easier to read and much simpler to operate. The Vyper seems to use the same LED/form factor. With the Uwatec I occasionally needed the manual, with the Gekko I leave it at home and only take the help card on trips.

Someone told me Suunto's are more conservative than Uwatec's also IIRC.

I keep thinking I'll upgrade the Gekko but so far I haven't 2 years later.

If Atomic ever produces a wrist version of the Cobalt that will be when I do - the OLED is remarkably clear and easy to read - I've played with one in the store.

Have you seen the new Axiom? http://liquivision.com/axiom-air-nitrox-dive-computer.php

Thanks, Quero, measured advice, as usual. Sometimes lust for new toys beats rationality. For the kind of silver-years diving that I do these days the Pro Ultra is probably all I need.

And, yes, the Axiom is enticing. But, at eight Pro Ultra battery changes, can I really justify it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom